Thread: AMC 360 FRONT OF ENGINE LEAK

Bulltear forum member Cook

AMC 360 FRONT OF ENGINE LEAK

I have a recently rebuilt AMC 360(less 1000 miles) since the rebuild that has started to leak oil from the front of the engine. Oil is leaking near the front of the engine near the oil filter and pump. Prior to the leak starting, I added a york ac compressor and new alternator brackets. As you know, it meant loosening up the front water pump,oil pump housing to get the new bracket and bolts in. Did I upset something to cause this leak? I've since replace the oil filter, sending unit and made sure the lower oil pump bolts were tight. Any thoughts? Thanks John

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The oil does pump from the front cover into the block thru a passage on that side. Did you change bolts? It's possible one is too long and bottoming out in the hole before the cover is tight. Just something to think about.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Is the PCV hooked up?
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Yes it's hooked up. Not getting any leaking at the top of the engine. I did use a bastardized PVC valve to get a cleaner installation since my engine lacked the manifold grommet. Could having an incorrectly size valve cause it to leak somewhere else on the engine?

One of the purposes of the PCV is to prevent pressure from building in the crankcase. If you have pressure building up in there, you'll get more leaks.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.