Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

something seems wrong here.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: something seems wrong here.....

something seems wrong here.....

I think we're missing something. Perhaps some frame?

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Looks like most of it to me........
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

hehe. There are a few way to put coilovers under a Wrangler. I chose to eliminate more frame.

Plans are 4 link rear, 3 link w/panhard front, FOA coilovers. Rock Jock60 front with Reid Racing and Nitro goodies. We're racing this year.

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    So that's where my sawzall blades went
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Are you planning full hydro? Stinger? I never liked the front OEM frame tie in..ect.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    Are you planning full hydro? Stinger? I never liked the front OEM frame tie in..ect.
    I wouldn't touch anything but full hydro any more....offroad only, anyway. PSC has been great to work with over the years.

MC, want to sponsor the only AMC in the field? I need some go fast(er) stuff for this motor to keep up with the LSx kids.

Wow...I guess I've been negligent on updates. front is a Currie Rock Jock III with Reid Racing knuckles and inner Cs.

Here's a better shot of the rear truss.

I also decided to run two power steering pumps. It's a few brackets made by a guy on ifsja.org. This should be a pretty good upgrade along with my bigger reservoir. It does make fitting the orbital in there a little more challenging.

Also got started on the dash. I need to cram 3 gauges, 12VGuy panel, auto shifter, and the cable twin cable shifters in there.

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum Old Rugged Crosser's Avatar

Dan, Something different in suspension

Dan, I noticed your pictures of your project that you posted. I see that you are setting up a new suspension under your rig.

Ya know I have been looking at pictures and reading many other blogs on other peoples suspension designs. I also noticed that your new rear suspension is much the same as most everyone is using. In reading their blogs about the issues that they encounter with your type of suspension I read that rear steer is a big issue and I can see why. Some of them get real unwieldy in the rear steer during articulation. Squat and anti squat also is greatly discussed.

Well Dan, I too am retrofitting my jeep and I decided to go the path not well traveled. I like everyone wants to achieve the best articulation and without the bad effects that are inherent in the system they have chosen. The style you are going with will have the inherent rear steer problem during extreme articulation. That also is the inherent problem with the style I have chosen to use, the quarter elliptic spring. I want to use this style as it has the best articulation capabilities. I have read all about the problems that are inherent in the Q E suspension and can see why it is not really to popular with wheelers. I put some thought into it and decided not the follow the path others have taken in applying this set up and try to overcome the unwanted effects. I believe that I have done just that. In the shop everything checks out in grand fashion. One day I will be finished with my project and be able to field test it. But in putting it through all paces of articulation it appears to be what everyone is looking for; ZERO REAR STEER and a minimum of anti squat. I'll post some pic's of my effort for you and others to look at. My set up has very little pinion angle change maybe 1* at the most. No u-joint binding or anything even remotely so.

Axle wrap is handled completely by the lower links and the upper centering links only handle the centering of the rear without placing the duties of handling wrap and centering such as the design that you have in your pic's. That is why I do not have to use the heavy duty set up that your design requires.

Also you might note the swivel mount for the front attaching points that I use. Along with the pivoting cross-member that it and the springs are attached to. This allows the links to always maintain the same lengths during articulation which eliminates the unwanted problems stated above. All the arcs work together and with each other rather than fight against each other.

I just thought I would give everybody something to think about. I'm not much for monkey see monkey do.

[/img]
    Larry The Old Rugged Crosser
    in a Old Rugged Cross'en 72 CJ-5
    ------------------------------------------
    You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

The rear steer in my design is very minimal, as I've had the same design previously. I don't really care about extreme flex because I'd not an RTI queen; it's a race car. Big flex and RTI is dead as the dodo bird. If you want zero rear steer, you can run a double triangulated rear, but single triangulated is more stable on side hills.

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum Old Rugged Crosser's Avatar

Race car?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    The rear steer in my design is very minimal, as I've had the same design previously. I don't really care about extreme flex because I'd not an RTI queen; it's a race car.
    Dan, I am not familiar with what your aims are. Would you explain what type of racing you do? I'm kind of curious what type of racing would involve running 2 hydraulic pumps such as you are going to run. Sounds like something straight line!?

This sounds interesting. Give me some info.
    Larry The Old Rugged Crosser
    in a Old Rugged Cross'en 72 CJ-5
    You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine