Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What alternator is this?

Thread: What alternator is this?

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie

What alternator is this?

Can anyone tell me which alternator i have, wondering if there's a way to tell if it's internal or external regulated? Any help would be great.

thanks

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Does it have a name on it? it's either a motorcraft or a Delco type. the motorcraft was the same as any other ford alternator and had an external regulator the Delco was internal. I think they switched somewhere around 76 for the CJ's Really easy to swap in a GM 1 wire though so if that ones bad I wouldnt bother trying to fix it. It wont cost much more if any to go get a Delco 10si from either the parts store or the salvage yard.

Ya theres no name, it's never that easy I've got a couple one wire alternators here but the bolt hole sizes are to small in diameter on the one side and the other bolt dosn't have the thick part on it like this one (see bottom pic right hand side)
    so my brackets will work.

But my parts guy might be able to help me out now that i've got a name, thanks

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    It does not look like any delco alternator.

I has terminals on the back like the motorcraft, but does not look like the one that came out of my '73 CJ5.

I would hazard a guess that it's externally regulated.

WHAT did this come out of????
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Came on an old 304 i got on trade for some parts

Is there an interal regulator motorcraft alt i can change it out for? Or are they all going to be external

Thanks

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    To make the Delco GM one work just drill out the pivot hole and make the bottom bracket if you have to. I switched from a Motorcraft to the GM and all I had to do was make the long bolt fit and use washers as a spacers to get the pulleys to line up properly. Or you can get the Bulltear alternator bracket and use that. GM one wire is your best bet and you can get a new one pretty cheap.

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    I can't offer much help on the mount. I made a custom bracket so I could mount a hydraulic pump.

I like th GM "3-wire" aka regular old GM alternator. Not that hard to wire up.

Lug on the alt. to Batt +

2 wire connector on Alt-
    large Red wire - load sence. Run to +12V @ coil
    small brown wire - run to dash mounted light (no LEDs) run the other light wire to ground.

This give an "idiot" light benefit. If the light comes on, either your alt is shot or more likely, your missing a belt and should look a little closer to the temp guage!
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln