Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's new in your shop? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: What's new in your shop?

  1. #11
    Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    s.e. minnesota
    Posts
    1,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    PAINT.
    Amazing how much brighter and easier to light things are with just a coat of white paint. Got a little over 1/2 done last weekend, hopefully finish this weekend.

    Using one of these I borrowed from a bud. Great for shooting latex paint.

    Bob
    tufcj
    It does make a difference doesn't it!! Waiting to get the new shop built so I can clean out the 'old' one for another coat. A/C has also been a plus in mine :-)
    The shop at the new work has A/C, this will be the first summer working there.
    parting several FSJ'S

  2. #12
    Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central City, Colorado
    Posts
    1,626

    Finally!

    Well I finally saved the scratch for a new Miller 211 welder and a (cheapie) plasma cutter.. Ramsond 50 amp.

    Now that Im done with most of the projects except the javelin. I am however thinking about a tubing bender/notcher and maybe building a tube chassis for a track T using the C4 corvette running gear.
    It's amazing how many buddies I had that i didnt know about until i got these two pieces of equipment.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

    Dirty Harry.

  3. #13
    Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum Old Rugged Crosser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bothell Washington
    Posts
    228
    RIPPLES BELIEVE IT OR NOT

    This post is about how to use an old tool in a new way.

    Have you ever had trouble cutting sheet metal without bending it up while using snips? I think we all have. Here's how I cut my sheet metal. I use my table saw or hand skill saw. When I first was instructed in this I was told to reverse the saw blade, which I initially did. Then I decided to try it with the normal blade installation and I couldn't find it made much difference. The only thing I would say is that you might need to feed the material to the saw blade a little slower.

    If you are going to try this I fully recommend using all safety precautions--eye protection and arm and face protection as it tends to spit hot bits of steal. Also a slow feed is needed or you will overtake the blades capability and jamb it. When done properly it works beautifully. You get nice straight cuts and your sheet metal does not get wrinkled up.

    I have even cut .120 square tubing and angle. I use a carbide steal blade and believe it or not it really does not affect it. A plywood blade works best for sheet metal. However, I have used ripping blades with success.

    http://
    Last edited by Old Rugged Crosser; 02-21-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    Larry The Old Rugged Crosser
    in a Old Rugged Cross'en 72 CJ-5
    ------------------------------------------
    You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/

    ------------------------------------------
    "He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

  4. #14
    Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    s.e. minnesota
    Posts
    1,351
    The roof... since it fell in just before new years...
    parting several FSJ'S

  5. #15
    Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East Bethel Mn
    Posts
    1,260
    Swapped in a 2.64 1st gear t10 just in time to put the car in storage before winter.
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

  6. #16
    Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Rugged Crosser View Post
    RIPPLES BELIEVE IT OR NOT

    This post is about how to use an old tool in a new way.

    Have you ever had trouble cutting sheet metal without bending it up while using snips? I think we all have. Here's how I cut my sheet metal. I use my table saw or hand skill saw. When I first was instructed in this I was told to reverse the saw blade, which I initially did. Then I decided to try it with the normal blade installation and I couldn't find it made much difference. The only thing I would say is that you might need to feed the material to the saw blade a little slower.

    If you are going to try this I fully recommend using all safety precautions--eye protection and arm and face protection as it tends to spit hot bits of steal. Also a slow feed is needed or you will overtake the blades capability and jamb it. When done properly it works beautifully. You get nice straight cuts and your sheet metal does not get wrinkled up.

    I have even cut .120 square tubing and angle. I use a carbide steal blade and believe it or not it really does not affect it. A plywood blade works best for sheet metal. However, I have used ripping blades with success.

    http://[IMG]http://i908.photobucket.....jpg[/IMG]


    You need a blade like this:

    Name:  morse_sawblade.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  28.3 KB

    It is safer, made for metal, and will last a very long time.

    I'll never use an abrasive blade in a chop saw again.
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

  7. #17
    Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum Old Rugged Crosser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Bothell Washington
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by msalaba View Post
    You need a blade like this:

    Name:  morse_sawblade.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  28.3 KB

    It is safer, made for metal, and will last a very long time.

    I'll never use an abrasive blade in a chop saw again.
    Msalba: Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where you bought it and do you know what sizes it comes in? Do you use it for all stock?
    Larry The Old Rugged Crosser
    in a Old Rugged Cross'en 72 CJ-5
    ------------------------------------------
    You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/

    ------------------------------------------
    "He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

  8. #18
    Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middle of the Iron Range MN
    Posts
    1,229
    make sure to check the RPM reading for those blades before you put them in any saw. A lot of metal cutting blades are purpose built to use in a metal cutting saw. For sure I know the chop saw blades are 1800rpm and not the 5400 that an abrasive saw is. Too fast and the teeth can come off like a bullet or the whole blade can come apart.

  9. #19
    Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Rugged Crosser View Post
    Msalba: Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where you bought it and do you know what sizes it comes in? Do you use it for all stock?
    I actually have a DeWalt Saw with this blade:
    Name:  dewalt-FerrousMetalCuttingBlade.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  9.6 KB
    SPECIFICATIONS

    BLADE:

    • Diameter: 14"
    • Arbor: 1"
    • Teeth: 70
    • Grind: M-ATB
    • Hook: 0
    • Plate: 0.071" (1.8 mm)
    • Kerf: 0.087" (2.2 mm)

    MAX RPM:

    • 1800 RPM
    APPLICATION:

    • Heavy Gauge Metal

    I bought the saw at a local tool supply shop. They are available through online vendors as well. The one previously mentioned is the first thing that popped up on a google search.

    I have this saw:
    Name:  dewalt-DW872.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  11.3 KB

    SPECIFICATIONS

    MOTOR:

    • 15.0 AC/DC Amps
    • 4.0 HP

    NO LOAD SPEED:

    • 1300 RPM
    WHEEL:

    • Arbor: 1"
    • Diameter: 14" (355 mm)
    MAX CAPACITY:

    • Round: 5-3/16"
    • Rectangular: 6-1/2" x 4-1/2"
    TOOL SIZE:

    • Length: 21"
    • Weight: 47.0 lbs

    Found here: http://www.mikestools.com/DW872-DeWa...utter-Saw.aspx



    ironman_gq:

    Good call, CRS prevented me from thinking about the RPM difference. It would be wise to check RPM of both the tool and blade in any application!
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Bulltear Ad