Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Alternator Bracket Identify 1976-80 ?

Thread: Alternator Bracket Identify 1976-80 ?

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)

Alternator Bracket Identify 1976-80 ?

Have stock 1986 AMC Alternator Brackets that are for a Delco Alternator.
    Able to figure out all pieces from this 1976-80 diagram except (1) Piece and (1) Bolt.
    1976-80 Diagram shows parts for a MotorCraft style Alternator.
    1986 Delco Alternator brackets look about the same.
    Aware the (1) highest Hole is for a bolt that attaches to the A/C Brackt=et.

Anyone willing to identify the (1) Piece & Bolt circled in red ?

Is the red outlined Piece and smaller forward facing Bolt for the Delco arrangement ?
    And actually shown in the wrong relative location in the diagram ?
    "Mystery Piece" seems it would not reach the Delco Clamp Bolt Tab where shown, and
    would run into the Alternator itself if mounted forward of the Pivot Spacer Tube ?
    Unable to figure out what that circled Piece and small forward facing Bolt attaches to.
    Or is the Diagram just wrong ?

MotorCraft and Delco Alternator Bracket Differences

Long Alternator Pivot Bolt Size
    MotorCraft Pivot Bolt is 7/16, I think...
    Delco Pivot Bolt is 3/8
    Tapped hole in "early" (1980 and earlier ?) cylinder head is 7/16.
    Tapped hole in cylinder head was changed to 3/8, sometime after 1980 ?

Swing Clamp Bolt Size (through bottom slotted bracket piece)
    MotorCraft Swing Clamp Bolt is 3/8.
    Delco Swing Clamp Bolt is 5/16.

Alternator Pivot Boss & Pivot Spacer to Block
    Spacer through Holes different to match 3/8 or 7/16 Pivot Bolt.
    MotorCraft Pivot Boss is ~3 inches wide, 2.44 Long Pivot Spacer.
    Delco Pivot Boss is ~2 inches wide, 3.44 Long Pivot Spacer.

Thanks for the help

'69 AMX #11,856 BSO/Saddle 343-4V Auto Go-Pak A/C Leather
    http://home.fuse.net/ckthomas/AMXSIG5.jpg

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    Sorry, I cannot help you much with your bracket question. (Although I do believe the small bolt facing forward may attach to the bottom of the back of the alt.). I'm sure one of the other members with a complete motor will be able to help.

Where did you get your exploded view for the alt. and especially bracketing?. I have been looking for exploded views of all front engine bracketing for my 1978 amc 360 without much luck. Now that I have the alt. photo(thanks to you), all I need is the power steering and a/c views. Any chance you have these where you could post them online?
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Sometime in the past couple years asked on one of the forums and someone posted that diagram and I saved the image file. Have the 1967-72 AMC Illustrated Parts Manual on CD in pdf format, it has exploded assemblies, but haven't found or bought the 1973-78 Parts Manual or others.

Thanks Fuzz And the "Mystery Bracket" bolts to the back of the Alternator, huh. First time I've seen that.
    Is that a Delco or MotorCraft Alternator ? Looks like a Delco ?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    delco and what I have is the set up jeep used in the late 70's

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Thanks for the additional pictures.
    I've got some 1986 brackets, just about the same, but from an engine with A/C.
    The extra pics show that I need to get or make the top strap piece that goes from
    inbetween back of the Alt Boss & Spacer and zigs back to the head.
    Only have the A/C style diagram and that "zig" piece is different and isn't shown.
    Those extra pictures help out alot.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaught
    Sorry, I cannot help you much with your bracket question. (Although I do believe the small bolt facing forward may attach to the bottom of the back of the alt.). I'm sure one of the other members with a complete motor will be able to help.

Where did you get your exploded view for the alt. and especially bracketing?. I have been looking for exploded views of all front engine bracketing for my 1978 amc 360 without much luck. Now that I have the alt. photo(thanks to you), all I need is the power steering and a/c views. Any chance you have these where you could post them online?
    I have the PDF versions of the parts manuals with diagrams for 1981-1996 but can't get them posted to Photobucket. I can PM them to a regular e-mail address or you can go to Morris 4X4 and get them from http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-parts/index.htm
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    mudrat........in route back to calif. .....will pm later. Thanks again.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....