Thread: drowned my jeep now my clutch is really grabby!!

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

drowned my jeep now my clutch is really grabby!!

Anyone have any idea why my clutch is extremely grabby after submerging in water? I filled my motor up last night and today after getting everything dried out my clutch is really grabby. I cant even slip it without a bad shudder starting. I thought maybe the oil foamed up and pushed past the seals but everything in the bellhousing is dry from what I can see through the inspection cover. Im just wondering what is happening here. I will probably keep driving it and see if it gets better but its really annoying

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You won't see anything but the back of the flywheel thru the inspection plate.

Was it submerged long? The disc may have absorbed water. Chatter is usually caused by a worn or glazed disc. Did you slip it a lot?

It may clear up, you may need to replace it.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

didnt slip it at all. I knew I wasnt going anywhere so I put it in neutral and tried to keep the engine running and my feet somewhat dry while my copilot tried to climb through the roof It wasnt under for more than 20 minutes so Im hoping a little driving and some heat cycles will get things cleared up. I pulled the inspection cover to see if there was any oil in there, I know oil will cause brakes to get pretty grabby in small doses and clutches are similar so I figured the same might apply. needless to say no oil in the bellhousing at all.

I think it was just wet. It seems to be getting better so I guess it just needed to dry out