Thread: DANA 60 question

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

DANA 60 question

I've got a chance to aquire a DANA 60 from a one ton chevy truck really cheap. My question is: Can it be converted FROM floating axles? Was hoping I could narrow it down and stuff it under the back of my Gremlin drag car. Any knowledge out there?

Have you put your hands on it? If it's from a Chevy, it's most likely a 14bolt. If you want a 60, look for a 78-79 era Ford F250. You'll need a set of weld on flanges to run semi-float shafts. The hardest part is welding on the flanges correctly.
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...es_p_1612.html

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Not without a lot of work. Full floating axles don't have the "bells" on the outer ends for semi-floating bearings. The axle tubes would need to be cut to length, bells welded on, and custom axles made. For a similar amount of work, you could have a bulletproof Ford 9" for the same or less money.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by dan58
    Have you put your hands on it? If it's from a Chevy, it's most likely a 14bolt. If you want a 60, look for a 78-79 era Ford F250. You'll need a set of weld on flanges to run semi-float shafts. The hardest part is welding on the flanges correctly.
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...es_p_1612.html
    Never seen it. Was under the impression that all one ton trucks used DANA 60 rear ends. Guess I may have learned something today?

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    From what I've read, D60 Rears are rare in Chevy trucks. They were more common in 3/4 & 1 ton vans. The trucks generally had 10 bolt, 14 bolt semi-float and 14 bolt full float depending on GVWR.

You may be splitting hairs. a Ford 9" would be more suited to your application. There is a lot of custom aftermarket support.

My $0.02
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

OK, So it seems I have gained a bit of knowledge in this area. Thanx for the help

As for the 9", I understand they are light and strong. This has made them very popular in the hot rodding world. My idea is that with the non-counterlever design (no ass) of the Gremlins, there isn't much weight back there and a D60 would be that added balast so to speak.
    At this very moment there is a mopar 8¾ with 456 gears on a stock width (never measured it, nor know what it came from) and is a posi. With a IL6 (232cid) it is addicuate enough at the moment.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The axle/housing/gears are all unsprung weight. All you're doing is "robbing" power from the engine to move/turn the additional weight, and it would increase your E.T.s some. In a drag car, I'd keep the lightest axle that was up to the task. With the I-6, the Mopar 8 3/4 should be plenty. Even with a V-8, an AMC20 with one piece axle upgrade would be fine, a 9" would be overkill.

Wiki on unsprung weight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford