Thread: 700r4 durability???

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic

700r4 durability???

Well, I happened along a '87 700r4 transmission for $50 and bought it. After searching alittle I am thinking it isn't as strong as the th400. Have any of you guys had first hand experience with the 700r4 behind 500hp in a heavy truck?
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    High power and high weight? It probably won't survive long in stock form. Take it to a trans shop and have HD parts (drum with more planetaries, HD clutches, and shift kit) put in it, along with a large cooler, and it will survive quite well.

I had one in my Suburban (with upgrades), only about 300 HP, but pulled a 7000 LB trailer thousands of miles, and never had a problem.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    If im thinking right it's the precursor to the 4L60/4L60E tranny under 1/2 tons today. I thought they liked to run warm but could be made pretty strong with the right parts but still not near as tough as the th400/4L80

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    Does anyone make and adaptor plate to run the 4L80E with A AMC V8 and a NP205 transfer case?
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Try Advanced Adaptors http://www.advanceadapters.com/ or Novak Engineering http://www.novak-adapt.com/
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE