Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360 problems

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com

360 problems

i have a 81 CJ7 with a 360 do not know what year or what the motor cam out of. here is my problem: When you start the engine starts up fine with a little help from the accelerator about half throttle but as soon as you take the foot off of the pedal she dies. When the engine is running at half throttle it acts like if she is only running on 6cy. I have changed fuel pump fuel filter plugs wires cap and button. The carb is an edlebrok 4 barrel cant remeber the cfi but it is nothing high performance and the carb is like a year old. i am lost and have no other ideas what it could be.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    try adjusting the idle mix screw on the front of the carb. start by lightly seating them and then backing them off 1.5-2 full turns and adjust till it idles at its fastest speed. Might also be a plugged idle passage. It doesnt take too long for this new oxygenated gas to go bad. I've seen gas less than 2 months old that looks like its been in a can under the shack for 5 years.

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    what is a idle passage? i have tried the adjustments already and no luck

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If the carb has been ruled out, I'd check timing and the possibility that the cam has jumped a tooth if the upper cam gear had plastic teeth.

Take the distributor cap off and rock the crank both ways. Ideally, the rotor should move immediately with the crank. If you can rock the crank more than about 10 degrees without the rotor moving, it's probably time for a new chain and gears.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

i will give that a try Bob and see what I come up with. Thank you very much. By chance to you know how to tell what year my motor is or what it came out of?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    360s are pretty generic. If you have the original valve cover, the tag is the best bet. It will have a 6 digit number that can be decoded to month/day/year/displacement. They used the same casting number on the block from 70-91. There MIGHT be a digit or 2 for the year cast in the head (under the valve cover, opposite end from the casting number), but heads can be changed. There also might be a digit cast into the block in the lifter galley (under the manifold). A digit like "7", could signify 77 or 87, but the 87 would have 2 extra freeze plugs behind the flywheel. No way to know what vehicle it came out of.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I pulled the in line fuel filter off once again and i found large amounts of rust in it. My fuel pump is pumping but no fuel is coming out. I was thinking that the fuel pick up line could be clogged with rust, is this possible? Should i buy a new tank or try to use this one and clean it out really good?

Jeep now runs at an idle but when you take off down the road it wants to stall out. any ideas

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Sounds like you may be plugging up badly.. it may be time for a couple fuel filters and clean the carb out (open the top and clean it out..)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Brand new carb. well a couple months old right out of the box and the fuel filter and the fuel pump brand new.