Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Locker Advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locker Advice

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    I haven't heard anything but good about the OX lockers. Pretty much like an ARB, but cable actuated. Part of the price is that nifty billet cover.

Bob
    tufcj
    The detroit ratcheting was something that would happen alot on the granite and on the slick rock of MOAB or Rubicon. The tight tuning and ability to unlock sure shines when you are balancing on the tips of rocks with tires in the air....

I've also found certain lines like wh4 on fordyce where the ability to lock the front and unlock the rear has resulted in this jeep being able to walk lines that others were fighting due to their rears being locks and sliding off the edge of the rocks they were climbing. small example but an advantage none the less

check over on pirate board, for reviews the downside to the OX so far the only downside is the constant adjustments that have to be made.

The bearing isn't that bad now Timkin offers it as do a couple others god they used to be atrociously expensive. use a air over electric solenoid $55 for a HD unit froma big rig shop or buy one from ARB for the same price, put an air regulator in line after teh air tank and before the air solenoid, keep air pressure at or below 60 psi. use the handy dandy stock AMC brackets for a York and get your on board air and air for the ARB.

you'll be the final decision maker go ride or drive some rigs with these pieces of equipment in them. Seat time is what convinced me to spend the extra I was able to do a side by side comparison of my jeep to an equally setup jeep with ARBs on the same obstacle and I noticed a striking difference. you'll experience something too, you may decide for your type of area, driving style and wheeling the detroits are plenty, try out the OX in a rig with one and see the plus's and minus's and then go home and ponder it more, all while consuming more Beer to accumulate more .05 CA can deposits to redeem. Drink more then go onto randy's ring and pinion page, look up the differential off choice, grab credit card and then pleed with wife to forgive you and explain that you intend to save your cans to pay back the joint account
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty

The detroit ratcheting was something that would happen alot on the granite and on the slick rock of MOAB or Rubicon. The tight tuning and ability to unlock sure shines when you are balancing on the tips of rocks with tires in the air....
    Been to Moab literally hundreds of times, run the vast majority of the trails out there, including Lions Back, been to the Rubicon twice, the only one in my group of 6 to make it through Little Sluice. Very seldom do the lockers on my CJ bang or ratchet. It will do it on the street, especially when I release the brake and it rolls backwards slightly before I apply power. Must be a driving style thing. I seldom touch the clutch unless I shift or stop, I use the gearing and torque of the engine, often lugging it down below 400 RPM. I also load the driveline before releasing the brake, again because the engine will lug down so well.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj

......... Must be a driving style thing. I seldom touch the clutch unless I shift or stop, I use the gearing and torque of the engine, often lugging it down below 400 RPM. I also load the driveline before releasing the brake, again because the engine will lug down so well.

Bob
    tufcj

Sounds like our driving styles are identical, its amazing how long axles last and how much smoother things are when you dont have to throttle down to to get through it..... I keep wanting to put AMC IDLE on my license plate but i dont think anyone these days would understand . It could be that i am just a sensitive winer.

Anyways i have noticed a difference since switching to the arbs F&R over my old detroits small difference yes but it does shine in strange spots and has definitely been noticed. not sure what to tell you on the ratchet pop its small but its something we all have talked about in our group and experienced the broncos, samuris and toyotas and my jeep have experienced it at one precarious time or another maybe my calling it rachet pop is not accurate but its something small thats definitely there. personally i never noticed until i swapped out the front detroit for an ARB then when i did the rear it was notable
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377