Thread: 360 Leaking around the oil pump

Bulltear forum member Cook

360 Leaking around the oil pump

I've got an oil leak I can't seem to pin point. I've got oil film all over my filter, sending unit, oil pump, lower alternator brackets. The film collects and drips from all the previously mentioned parts Can't see it dripping or weeping while the engine runs. The leaking started when I added on board air. Doing so, required me to add the stock amc alternator brackets that help support the york unit. Has anyone had similar problems? Things I've tried already.

Replaced sending unit
    Replaced oil filter
    Tightned oil pump cover bolts
    Retorqued oil pan bolts

I've had several AMC V-8's and never had this problem. I know their known to leak but this seems excessive.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The only thing I can think of is one of your front cover bolts is too long, and bottoming in the hole before clamping the cover to the block. Might be leaking between the cover and block.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I will give that a try. I noticed dripping from the head of the long bolt that supports the alternator bracket. It passes through boss near oil pump housing. Thanks for you help!

Could using an incorrect PVC valve cause this issue? My engine lacks the rubber grommet at the manifold. I used one from a different vehicle that would mate up to my existing hoses. I have no oil present on the intake manifold.

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    These aftermarket timing covers are a "piece of work". I just found my oil leak. Its oozing out around the
    idler gear shaft that's pressed into the casting. The shaft doesn't appear to be loose but obviously the fit
    surface is poor. I'm going to aluminum braze over the exit area.