Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
cj7 frame dimension

Thread: cj7 frame dimension

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

cj7 frame dimension

Have been trying to get the ol' '78 cj7 reassembled. Everything going about as expected except for a real alignment problem with the 360 and some "stock" motor mounts.

Can anyone give me a dimension for the spread on the frame at the point where the motor mounts connect? Either an "inside to inside" or a "center to center"? Also is there any "center-line" dimension for the engine?

I could see this was going to be a problem when all of the previous mounts were either twisted, redrilled or broken. I know I have seen a diagram of a cj frame "dimensioned out" some where, but didn't think I would ever need it.

I have given up on the stock mounts and just ordered a set of M.O.R.E. B/P mounts, but still need to check on my frame. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I know there are frame dimensions in the forum. An old moderator put up frame prints years ago.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The inside-inside frame dimension at the motor mounts is 26". There should be a rod that bolts to each rail between the motor mounts. It is there to keep the rails from bowing outward.

Are you sure you have the CJ V-8 specific mounts? The passenger side V-8 frame mount is different on an I-6, and the CJ block brackets are different from a car or Wagoneer.

The M.O.R.E mounts are the way to go. Had mine on the CJ for well over 10 years and still going strong.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the 26" dim. tufcj. I will check today. Ran into some other issues that needed attention. I have never seen a rod run across the rails but sounds like a good idea.

The motor mounts I recieved used. I was told they were off of a cj5. I don't really know if they were correct or not, but they were a little different than the ones I originally removed. My understanding about the I6 mounts is that they are identical. I don't believe that the would even bolt to a v8.

I thought the frame diagram I say was added as a sticky some time back, but have not been able to find it again.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    only one of the I6 mounts works with the V8 the other side is different. The bar he is talking about runs under the oil pan between the frame side motor mounts to keep them from pushing apart or spreading the frame.

Thanks for the info........waiting for the M.O.R.E. mounts to arrive. My inside frame dim. seems good at 26".