Bulltear Ad

Thread: alternator selection

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

alternator selection

Who can fill me in on my choices of alternators for a '78 cj7 with a 360? I know I have a Delco installed now, but am installing a single new yellow top Optima (instead of two), and want to increase my charging capacity for running my winch.

Was the stock Delco a 60 or 90 amp? Are there any other brand choices for h/o except Powermaster? What about h/o at low rpm? I do need a dual pulley on the alt. because of the a/c compressor.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum Old Rugged Crosser's Avatar
    I have just done some research on this and I am going to buy the Proform # 66445-14n for $153.95 at Summit. It is a one wire 140 amp alt. The billet dual belt pulley that Bulltear offers will fit it. I would think that it should have plenty output for what your winch draw.
    Larry The Old Rugged Crosser
    in a Old Rugged Cross'en 72 CJ-5
    ------------------------------------------
    You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/

------------------------------------------
    "He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    I use a Powermaster 200+ amps.
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

I will check out the Proform at summit. I have talked to Power Master about some of there units. 200 amps would be nice if it is a direct swap.

At this point I am not willing to do any bracket alterations and am looking for a h/o alt. that will drop right in. I have an amc 360 with an a/c pump mounted over the alt. The adjusting bracket on the alt. is "fixed" and does not swing. I presently have a Delco 12si size unit installed. I run a double pulley not a serpentine.

I was hoping one of the members will have the same setup as mine, and have a brand # and model# of alt. with an output of 140-200amps that will drop right in.

I have talked to several manufacturers, but the are not exactly certain of the dimensions on the older amc's. I think one guy told me that there were as many as three model alt. in the 1978 year.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I have a Bosch 90 amp unit mounted below my A/C compressor. It's a 1 wire internally regulated, so the factory regulator had to be eliminated. I had to bore the top hole out to fit the 7/16" bolt that AMC uses, and make an additional 1" or so spacer, but otherwise it bolted on.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Hey Bob, Where did you find that 90 amp Bosch? Im getting ready to do something similar on the Javelin, (I want to be able to run an electric fan for the AC and radiator)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

I was hoping to get something closer to 140 amps if possible. Just wanted to know if that is a realistic expectation. If my Delco is even a 60 amp unit and I have to make mods to a new unit, I would rather get more than 30 amp increase. Still hoping I can find a direct replacement. I do understand that there are some adapter plugs to go from a two wire setup to a one wire alt. I believe they are both internally regulated.

Still hoping someone is running a unit that will just drop in without mods. I have time to research still.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    Hey Bob, Where did you find that 90 amp Bosch? Im getting ready to do something similar on the Javelin, (I want to be able to run an electric fan for the AC and radiator)
    I really don't remember. Someone on a Jeep related forum turned me on to it 10+ years ago. Looks just like a Delco size wise, just does 90 amps. With my dual battery setup, it's always been more than sufficient for the winch and off-road lights.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaught
    I was hoping to get something closer to 140 amps if possible. Just wanted to know if that is a realistic expectation. If my Delco is even a 60 amp unit and I have to make mods to a new unit, I would rather get more than 30 amp increase. Still hoping I can find a direct replacement. I do understand that there are some adapter plugs to go from a two wire setup to a one wire alt. I believe they are both internally regulated.

Still hoping someone is running a unit that will just drop in without mods. I have time to research still.
    Powermaster is a direct bolt in
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

O.K.............had talked to Power Master and they seemed a little unsure about my application, but maybe it was me. Can you tell me which size (amps) I can get as a direct fit. I am running a Delco 12si size right now. Thanks.