Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

leaky 360
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: leaky 360

leaky 360

It's time to finally put an end to the leaky bastage that is my 360. I think the culprit is pressure, not the seal itself. Now that the motor sees higher RPM and temps for longer periods, it's rather evident that the crankcase is building too much pressure and blowing out seals. When running at high speed for a while, I'll see the dipstick covered in oil, and the rear oil pan seal and back of the block covered in oil.
    The info:
    360 on propane, Edelbrock performer cam & intake, shorty headers
    When I get to the garage tonight, the first thing I'm going to check is the PCV.

To the best of my knowledge, the black grommet at the back of the intake is the PCV. That needs to see a vac, correct?

Where else should I be looking on this beast?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    try a breather in each valve cover and bigger one on the oil tube

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Thanks, Fuzz. I guess that means drilling/tapping the valve covers?

try a set of steel covers first - my K&N breathers
    4 screw holes and 1 big hole

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

I'll have to dig up a set. Would stockers fit the bill?

Would that fix help the pressure with the oil pan leaking?

If nothing else works you can always hook up a vacuum pump like some racers do. THey say it helps ring seal as well as keeps blowby under control

it should help I was shooting oil out my breather/oil fill tube it slowed it down other then that new rings

I just need to get through two more races and one trail ride this year. It looks like the fancy cast Edelbrock valve covers have no vent on them at all? Odd.

And I don't recall what the 90 degree brass fitting is for on the intake???

power breaks?

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by dan58
    I just need to get through two more races and one trail ride this year. It looks like the fancy cast Edelbrock valve covers have no vent on them at all? Odd.

And I don't recall what the 90 degree brass fitting is for on the intake???
    The valve covers do not have a vent cause AMC vented through the intake manifold. Vented valve covers are a Chev thing....

The 90 deg fitting is a manifold vacuum source. From the size of the barb i'd say brake booster or PCV.

I don't understand how you can be getting R's that high with an Edelbrock cam. Should fall on it's face shortly after 4500 RPM. With my Summit K8600 power starts to fade ~ 5200ish...

Sounds more like your PCV valve took a dump. I'd also check that you oil filer/breather is not plugged.

I wouldn't think you'd need more breathing capacity untill 6500+
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln