Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

starting issue on new engine install - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: starting issue on new engine install

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Abraham Lincoln

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum Old Rugged Crosser's Avatar
    Masalba wrote:

No changes were made to the ignition switch or wiring (intentionally).

I believe the key to my problem lies in the fact that I have no power to the relay after the key returns to the "RUN' position. Why that is I cannot figure out yet.

Your problem does not lie in the fact that you have no power to the relay after the key returns to the "RUN" position." It is NOT supposed to have constant power. Your relay is a momentary contact relay. Meaning that it only works while the key is turned to start.

I just checked my Key Sw. which has 4 terminals: Batt, ign, acc, and st., all marked on the key switch. Yours will have these markings too. The st. term. is for the start switch relay ; your momentary cont actor which will only have power as long as the key is held to start. The ign. is the run position which you should have a wire running from there to your coil. The Batt. is the power supply from your batt. through your fuse panel. The acc. is for the radio, fan, ect.

By the way I am a retired electrician.
    Masalba wrote:

No changes were made to the ignition switch or wiring (intentionally).

I believe the key to my problem lies in the fact that I have no power to the relay after the key returns to the "RUN' position. Why that is I cannot figure out yet.
    Larry The Old Rugged Crosser
    in a Old Rugged Cross'en 72 CJ-5
    ------------------------------------------
    You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/

------------------------------------------
    "He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    Thanks for all the help guys...after tracing the "other" red wire back from the coil and thru the fire wall I was able to find a modular connection that had come apart in mid-wire. Problem solved.

Now one issue down and several hurdles left, but the engine is running properly and we are dialing in the carb.

Both Msalaba and ORC were right on the money. 500 bonus points are awarded to you both for this round. Thanks.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

I got 500 Bonus points!

Glad your problem was sovled

-Abraham Lincoln