Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
starter engagement issues...
Bulltear Ad

Thread: starter engagement issues...

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic

starter engagement issues...

After much fustration I have found that my starter is only engaging the ring gear by about an 1/8 inch. This is a mini starter I bought from Automotive electric service a few years back. Seems after sitting for awhile the old motor kicked alittle hard and chewed the teeth on the ring gear...add to that this in a 10.5 to 1 motor...I think this isn't going to work well.

Checked the starter and it only comes out enough to engage by an 1/8" The flex plate is on right and bought from Bulltear.

The question- Does anyone make different gears for the starters? Maybe this was a Chevy gear on the starter or something. If it sat out another 1/8th inch or the teeth were longer it would work.

P.S. Checked the stock starter and it would engage the teeth nearly all the way...but I don't have room to run the stock starter.
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Don't know if this gear would fit your starter, but i have two of theses starters and very good quality. They sell parts for their starters.

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...c_starter.html
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Re: starter engagement issues...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep_man_401
    P.S. Checked the stock starter and it would engage the teeth nearly all the way...but I don't have room to run the stock starter.
    Why won't the stock unit fit?
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Stock doesn't fit with the dual oil lines coming from pan and headers also. Not much room for the mini there also.

Did get the problem fixed though I think. I chucked the gear in a drill and cut off the end with my Dremel close enough to the teeth. Them ground down the cut off piece for a spacer in the rear of the gear. Basicaly moving the gear out a 1/4".

That should give me more of an engament but still be far enough away from the ring gear.

This whole project has been a pain in the %&$

Now hopefully the this weekend I can get alittle farther on the truck. Sick of working underneath the truck in the driveway.

Hope to get the garage done next year...Running out of warm days fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep_man_401
    Stock doesn't fit with the dual oil lines coming from pan and headers also. Not much room for the mini there also.

Did get the problem fixed though I think. I chucked the gear in a drill and cut off the end with my Dremel close enough to the teeth. Them ground down the cut off piece for a spacer in the rear of the gear. Basicaly moving the gear out a 1/4".
    What after market sytems are you running? Dual oil pan lines? Headers?
    Inform the rest of us so we don't have the same pain!!
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    swing pick up and block at the oil pump??

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

I here you about working on the ground. Some time in the future when I build my shop Im getting a 2 post lift. They arent that expensive and make working under stuff a lot easier

Been a pain all year Mudrat...it's not so much the aftermarket systems, it’s just not having a garage to work in. Have to drag everything out of the house or storage shed to work on the truck. Then put everything back away before I go to work. Then it's been raining every day I have off...even rains for a week when I take off work!! It's been on jack stands forever it seems. I do lay on a piece of carpet that makes it alittle better. lol
    To fix the starter I had to cut the end off so I chucked the starter pinion gear into the drill with a wooden dowel and used a Dremel to cut the top off.

Leaves two pieces. The ring thats left gets ground down so it goes into the back of the pinion gear to act as a spacer for the amount cut off. The guy that sold me the starter said I could grind the end off and use a longer spring out of a stock Ford type starter also. But I liked this idea better.

Back on and sticking out further...giving good engagement depth Finally.

Yes Fuzz401 it's the swing pick up running dual lines into an Indy cover and pump. Sounds like you have run into problems also at sometime? I think next time one line would be enough...but 2 lines look cool. ha ha

Got the mini back in and it works great!
    It's a tight fit in there with the oil lines and then I have the trans mission cooler lines running past also! (Got heat wrap for them someplace around here)

I also got the cross member for the np205 done and mounted. I used Energy Suspension universal bushing to make my own mount. When the engine comes out to get stroked after I get the garage up I'm going to make engine mounts out of the same thing. Maybe a set of 2" headers also...

Disk brakes plumbed on the 14 bolt done! Ugly but it’s a rush job. Need to finish some welding of leaf spring brackets yet and figure out a gas tank spot. (That’s the fuel line hanging over the rear end) Rear driveshaft is going to cost an arm and a leg so, thats the most I'll get done this year.

The Dana 60 front will have to wait until then also. That’s a spring over axle project. I've spent enough time under that truck lately

innovative solution! Glad you got it worked out. As for the shop, make sure it's big enough. I thought a 16x24 was good, till I piled all the stuff in there I now have to turn sideways to get by the Jeep and move stuff out of the way when working on any one area. All the jacks stands and chainsaws reside under the Rat machine
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

no I am still useing the stock pick up
    just people having a sticking problem with the swing pick and changing from double line to a single line

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile