Thread: Fuel Injection guidance

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

Fuel Injection guidance

So i have been an employed and contributing to society for a while now and i have been thinking my jeep could use some upgrades. I'm running en edelbrock carb and my carb tuning skills are not that great to say the least. I have had my eye on fuel injection for some time now. I was wondering what peoples opinions were on that new system from Holley, Avenger EFI. It looks like it runs about $2000 This would be a 4bbl TBI system. Is there something out there that will be a good system, maybe cheaper? I have thought about going mega-squirt but haven't found a throttle body i like that isn't terribly expensive. Now that being said the jeep sits on 33's with 373 gears and i run a t18 transmission. So basically I'm looking for some input for a good path to take to get some fuel injection.

At this point my engine is built as follows.
    -its somewhere around an 1985 engine
    -bore .030 over
    -RV cam (no idea on specs builder never gave me any info on it)
    -Balanced
    -Performer intake
    -dual exhaust
    I dont think any work was done at all to the heads.

All the uncertainty on the engine build comes from the fact that the builder never sent me a bill for anything even after calling and asking for one about ten or so times.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The 360 in my CJ.

Edelbrock cam and Performer manifold
    291-C heads, ported/polished, roller rockers
    Bone stock bottom end with nearly 150K on it, new rings and bearings at about 80K. Burns less than a quart of oil between changes.

Running a T-18/Dana 300 with 4.27 gears.

I'm running a Howell 2BBl TBI system, I think it's rated in the 540? CFM range. I'm really quite happy with it. It ran about $1250 to my door, came with everything except air filter and fuel lines. They say you can run the factory lines (5/16 feed, 1/4 return), but they suggest 3/8 feed, 5/16 return. Except for a couple of bad O2 sensors (probably my fault, they don't like being splashed with cold water when hot) it's been flawless for 9 years. If you're set on a 4BBL TBI, they can modify their kit to use the Holley TBI.

www.howell-efi.com

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

With switching to FI i hope to accomplish a few things. Maybe get a FEW MPG and gain some power. I really feel like my 360 is putting out what it should due to my carb. The only other thing i may do to the engine is change the cam (so i know what it is) and build a set of heads 291-C maybe for the bump in compression.
    You said the howell is rated at 540CFM does my 360 really need any more CFM than that. I guess i thought 4bbl tbi because im running a 4bbl carb now. Maybe get better low end throttle response with a 2bbl? The howell is a good bit cheaper at 1250, might just look into that route. How do you go about tuning howell?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    When you order a Howell, they ask for cam specs (lift and LSA), exhaust and intake type, and a few other things. They burn a chip for your application and send you the kit. It's based on a 91-95 GM truck TBI system. It then uses O2, a MAP sensor, and engine temp to tune itself. It's a closed loop system once it's up to operating temp.

I picked up about 1 MPG, but the Holley I had prior had been tuned spot on with an exhaust gas analyzer. It does start easier, idle smoother, and it runs smooth at any angle. Throttle response is crisper than the Holley. I don't notice it running out of air when I run it hard, so the 2BBL seems to be enough. No more flooding or stalling at angles or when it bounces hard. Probably one of the best mods I made.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

so i guess i may hit a roadblock when i would order being that i do not know anything about the specs on the cam. If its a RV style cam, thing i could get some general specs and go with that until i change cams at some point?

Ended up going with the howell kit, been taking my time installing it as i only have after work when its not raining. Did get it started and it idles smoother already!