Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Air Filter vs. H2O
Bulltear Ad

Thread: Air Filter vs. H2O

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

Air Filter vs. H2O

I have been trying to fine tune my Holley 670 lately and am pretty close. I can see why some people have difficulty with this carb., as I find it hard to believe that it is always "close to ready" out of the box for every app.

So the "kid" took the jeep out for a test drive and the heavens opened up with a steady downpour 20 min. after he left. When he came back he said the jeep was cutting out a even died on him coming up the hill.

After removing the air cleaner we found it drippinp with water. This housing and filter is chrome top and bottom with a 4" "red" filter sandwhiched in between. The filter did not asked to be oiled. I,m not sure that I can continue to run this style of "open" filter if I am to drive in the rain.

Any thoughts on this issue? Has anyone had this problem before?
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    I have run open filters "threw the hood" before. The first time was a 360 with 2 carbs and a set of K&N velocity stacks. Never any problems. Never covered the filters and no problems running in the rain. K&N are oiled filters...rain has no effect to them...in my experience.

The last build was same set up in a 401, but running Summits velocity stacks. Dual carb again threw the hood.

No problem running in rain, BUT after sitting in the rain the water would pool up in the dish on the top of the air cleaner where the wing nut is and then run down into the engine and into any cylinders that have open valves. Needless to say this isn't an ideal condition. The Summit brand air cleaners I used are the oiled ones too (K&N knock-offs?)

The fix I used was to put tape over the dished out area on the top so the rain would run off the sides. Going to make a hood scoop later to fix that once and for all. But dual air cleaners looks cool though...lol

I'd try the tape and see if that helps next time it rains and go from there. Rubber washers under the wing nuts!!!

Was the hood off during the rain event??

Check the plug wires and cap for moisture also. Run at night and look for spark jumping around the wires or down by the boots. Maybe spray with alittle water from a squirt bottle to make your own "rain".

I've see MSD igntion jumping threw cheap wires, worn wires or wires just to close to another. Add alittle water and who knows???
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

The hood was on the entire time. I can't rule out electrical, but I doubt it. Jeep always ran well in the rain before the rebuild.

I got to thinking that possiblly, the rain could be hitting the filter (which was very wet) and then draining into the air cleaner pan, where it might go down the EGR hose directly to the intake manifold. Just a thought.

I don't know if it is possible/necessary to put a shield around the front of the air cleaner element? Just looking for some answers or input.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    If your filter had that much water in it then your distributor right in front of it probably had just as much hitting it (Im assuming the water came through the grill). I would pull of the dizzy cap and see if it got wet inside. When I put my cap on I put a bead of dialectric grease around the rim where the cap and body meet to help it seal better

Good thought! It could easily have been the dizzy that was cutting out even if the air cleaner was wet. I do have a new cap and rotor, but will look at sealing the cap also.

Decided to oil the air filter and see if that helps stop some of the water penetration.

Right now we are getting pounded by multiple storm cells......rain......hail.....wind. Wind to 100mph reported down in Phoenix.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaught
    Right now we are getting pounded by multiple storm cells......rain......hail.....wind. Wind to 100mph reported down in Phoenix.
    and all those 'poor illegals' in that weather

Sorry got carried away - but the desert will look fantasict is a few days with all new plant growth

I too have a bead of dielectric grease around the base of the cap and each of the plug boots.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE