Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Header Help

Thread: Header Help

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Header Help

I've been searching the forum but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I've got an AMC 304 that I'm putting in a Juggy I'm building. I want to use "block hugger" style headers. I'm looking for center dump headers that I can use to route the passenger side around the front of the oil pan and bend around to the drivers side header and exit to the rear of the rig through a single pipe. All I've found are Edelbrock headers but the passenger side dumps toward the back of the motor. Does anyone have any idea who makes this for the AMC motor? I'm not opposed to stock manifolds if they are available but I'm running into the same problem, I can't find a center dump manifold.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The only way to get a center dump passenger side is to have one custom built. All the factory passenger manifolds from 68 up dump at the rear, and the Edelbrocks are made to be bolt in replacements for stock.

If it's any help, a muffler shop can make the bend. It's exactly what I have on my CJ (factory manifolds due to emissions). The only thing you have to watch is front driveshaft clearance under compression. It's 2 1/4" pipe across, and 3" after they join.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Thanks Bob...great pics. I'm bidding on a stock manifold on ebay now and plan to do exactly what you are doing. I'm raising my engine and drive line to be above/equal with the lower frame rails so I should have plenty of clearance. I kind of figured that would be the case. Did you have any problems with clutch linkage clearance?

Casey

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    It's close, but all needed clearance was taken into account when it was built. My engine is stock height on M.O.R.E. mounts, the trans is lifted about 3/4" on a home made skid and mounts, 1" body lift. The SOA on 1.5" YJ springs gives me about 7" of lift. I got really tires of smashing and getting hung up on a factory style "Y" pipe that hung under the bellhousing.

I had fenderwell headers and turbo mufflers on it prior to emissions. With the stock manifolds, cat and single 3" exhaust, the only place I feel a little drop is above 5000 RPM. How often is it at that RPM? I actually feel there is some torque increase at low RPMs.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford