Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
broken timing chain
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broken timing chain

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com

broken timing chain

could a broken timing chain cause my motor not to turn over? Brand new battery and it acts like there is no power to turn it over like way to much compression.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Was it a recent rebuild? It will barely turn something mechanical is holding it up. Whats the history on it?
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Only if the chain jammed inside the cover, and chances are that the cover would break. Put a large socket on the crank bolt and try to turn it backwards. I've only seen a timing chain break once in my life, and that was on a small block chevy.

Without knowing the history of the motor, it's hard to say what's wrong.

I'd pull the spark plugs and try to turn it over, could be water or fuel has a cylinder hydro-locked. Could be a dropped valve, could be rust from sitting, could be a seized piston or seized rod or main bearing. Just too many possibilities.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    motor was not rebuilt any time within the past yyear or so since i have had it. The thing is if I pull start it the jeep will fire up but wont stay running if i dont flutter the gas. What if it jumped time will it cause the thing to act like its seized up?

If the chain was broken, it wouldn't run at all. The distributor is driven from the cam, which wouldn't move it the chain was broken.

It could have jumped time. Late 70's, early 80's motors were built with nylon teeth on the cam gears (for noise and cost savings). They would break down over time and it could jump time. They usually lasted around 80K miles.

Has the starter been replaced? I've seen the bushings at the ends of the starter wear oval, then the armature drags against the case of the starter. It spins, but the drag slows it considerably. All cables and connections been checked and cleaned?

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    Late 70's, early 80's motors were built with nylon teeth on the cam gears (for noise and cost savings). They would break down over time and it could jump time. They usually lasted around 80K miles.

Bob
    tufcj
    Really? I replaced the timing chain set on my 78 360 last year and had factory cast gears. Same with the 85 I'm in the process of rebuilding. I thought the nylon gears were a Chevy thing. If they did come factory w/ nylon gears it would be a good indication that someone was in there before me!

Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey

Re: broken timing chain

Quote Originally Posted by donald
    could a broken timing chain cause my motor not to turn over? Brand new battery and it acts like there is no power to turn it over like way to much compression.

Quote Originally Posted by donald
    motor was not rebuilt any time within the past yyear or so since i have had it. The thing is if I pull start it the jeep will fire up but wont stay running if i dont flutter the gas. What if it jumped time will it cause the thing to act like its seized up?
    What Engine? IIRC, most AMC engines use Motorcraft starters. They get weak with age like anything else.

Sounds like you have a bad starter combined with other gremlins that are giving you fits.

I would start with some basic maintanence like check the plugs, compression, ign. timing and carb. Even something as simple as a plugged fuel filter will give you some serious problems.

More info could go a long way to a more accurate diagnosis.

Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I bought my 77 CJ with 8000 miles on it. It jumped time at about 90K, the 304 had a nylon cam gear in it. Maybe it was just the 304s? I know they did use the nylon tooth gears in some engines.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I had a '73 Matador with a 360 that came with a nylon timing set.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Yes - a broken timing chain can cause a AMC engine not to turn over, a AMC engine (like a old mopar) is not free wheeling. Meaning a valve can hit a piston if the valve timing is way off. If a AMC jumps time - 99% of the time you a hosed big time. The force required to turn a camshaft is tremendous, and if the teeth are at the point of failing - the chain would not jump just one tooth. A timing chain jumping one tooth and stopping there and the engine running for any length of time there after is about the most unbelieveble thing that I'v ever heard. Hankrod

oops' that is a bit harsh, sorry just me. Hankrod