Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
It was such a small hill...........
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It was such a small hill...........

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

It was such a small hill...........

Took a year to reassemble my '78 and only seconds to roll it . Now I have 2 fenders , 1 grill and a hood on order. Also clipped both rear corners. Looking for some do's or dont's for reassembling the front end, as I am going from a "87 clip back to a '78 fender/grill/hood original setup. Supposedly CAPA certified body parts for whatever that is good for. Thinking about putting some fender supports under the new ones. Any other suggestions or stories about installing after-market body panels? Good or bad.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Kind gives me a sick feeling after reading this... We all spend many many hours on our toys to only to destroy them in seconds. But, THAT'S WHAT WE DO!

Good luck on phase II!
    74 CJ5, 360w/T-18/D20, Scout D44's Locked front & rear w 5.38's, 36" Swampers & a ton of work...

It's a Jeep thing, Chrysler doesn't understand!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar

Really though. Sorry to hear about this. Parts is parts, but I've found that any aftermarket body parts don't line up as perfectly as factory. Of course I doubt you'll find any NOS parts at a dealer, and what's out there will be spendy. I flopped mine on it's side several years ago, and aside from a bruised elbow and ego, scratched paint, and a broken windshield and bent frame, the Jeep weathered it pretty well.

Make sure you use the factory rods that go between the grille and firewall, they do help stabilize the grille and keep the fenders from cracking. Otherwise, just line it all up before tightening, paint it, and get it back on the trail.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Would have liked to have had a picture of it on it's top, but I had gear oil running down the stick shift to underneath the console and darkness was coming fast.............oh yeah, I was on a closed section of road and did not want to stick around.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Just got some fenders in and to my surprise they have seams across the outside of the fender and down the fenderwell. Looks like there will be some extra welding and grinding to strengthen and blend in these ugly seams. Is this "normally" how these panels are assembled?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Sounds like an exact copy of the late 70's CJ fender. The fender behind the wheel was basically two layers of metal thick to reduce flex and stress cracking. They didn't do that with YJ fenders.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Sounds like an exo-skeleton is in order when you finish the body repair.
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

trying to keep the retro-78-stock jeep thing intacked...............don't really want to do the rock-climber thing.

Update.............Finally pulled the jeep out of the garage after rolling it a month ago. So after a complete rollover here is the list of damage:

One smashed fender
    One dented fender
    One dented hood
    Scraped paint on both rear quarters
    One qt. power steering fluid
    Two qts. tranny oil
    Six snaps on bikini top
    One stereo spkr.

Pulled out some dents, poured in some fluids and she runs/drives like a champ...........doesn't even pull while braking now!

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    any pics from after the roll