Bulltear Ad

Thread: Cam

Helpfull BT forum member Captain

Cam

I have a bone stock, very fresh 401. I have never been horribly impressed with the performance of this engine. I am currently running a DUI distributer, Howell Fuel injection, and a Edlebrock performer manifold. Would it be worth my time to put a different cam in while keeping the stock rocker arms. Its in a 91 Wrangler that I use offroad primarily but I do enjoy driving around town when its nice. I am also running a 727 with a stock geared Dana 300 and 4:56 gears in the axles on 37 inch tires.

If it would be worth the time what cam would anyone suggest. I also know that I would have to send my chip to Howell to have it reprogramed.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Any idea on the specs on the cam that's in it and the compression? What converter are you running in the trans? It will all make a difference in cam selection. Stock rockers and valve seals limit total lift to around .500".

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Helpfull BT forum member Captain
    Everything in this motor is stock from the AMC factory. It was a crate motor that Don Adams had in his back shed. He won the Baja a few times and was sponsered by AMC in the 70's and 80's. This was just one of his left over motors that was still in the original wrapper. I just left everything stock. I had a high stall TC in it but that was not good for long hard pulls in the Mountains or crawling so I put it back to stock.

I like the reliability of the stock motor so I don't want to get too wild. I just thought an after market cam might help this thing breath a little better. I am also running stock manifolds with dual 2.5" exahust.