Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Fuel pump questions 304
Bulltear Ad

Thread: Fuel pump questions 304

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum

Fuel pump questions 304

its been awhie since posting but i've been reading for a long time. so here it goes
    I've got a 76 cj7 304 hei ,edel. 1406 manual choke,edel. cam, intake,bulltear oiling and front cover. still in the process of building the jeep but after it sits awhile takes along time to start ,choke, pump gas pedal & finaly fires and starts . using an edelbrock 1406 ,stock fuel pump and filter with the return after started and ran awile it will restart and fire quickly just after sitting along time like over night or couple days does it seem to loose fuel pump prime. I also noticed the other day that while running ,my in line fuel gauge reads 3psi after filter eng. running. I am now wondering if stock fuel pump is going bad? i think i changed it last time with a cheap autostore replacement . I have also always had a studder or shudder while part thrttle then w.o.t. almost as if not getting enough fuel at times been through timing initial & vac. advance and played with carb metering rods and settings. I put a clear line on to check fuel after setting to see if iam right, but not tried yet.
    was thinking about staying with mechanical pump and going for a better (carter, edelbrock , summit,etc.) used mainly on street but I want a faster start . what are you all running? do i need a pressure regulator and do i need to have the filter with the return line( is thsi manditory). any suggestions on pump plumbing and loosing pime????
    Last edited by BRAD ARTHUR; 11-25-2010 at 08:53 PM.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I would check the oil to make sure it isnt loosing prime into the crank case. When a fuel pump goes out completely on a AMC it will pump fuel into the crank case. You can go down to your local parts store and pickup an electric fuel pump that will prime just fine and quickly without needing a regulator. Fuel systems often loose prime due to the lines being higher than the tank. The return line makes loosing prime even easier believe it or not. Good to see your still kicking Brad I do remember you.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The Edelbrock carb (1407) in my AMX does the same thing. If it sits for over a week it has to crank a while to start. I found that the bowls are vented to the outside air, and the fuel in the bowls evaporates when it sits. I'm running an aftermarket Carter fuel pump.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

the electric pump you are talking about , (as a lift pump along with the mechanical pump ) or a stand alone electric pump? using it with a carb can it be mounted up by the engine or does it need to be back at the tank? what is a good electric pump for a carb set up? injection would solve all these questions i know but the second little boy don't help the jeep budget. good to here from u to hope you are doing well i see you've been hard at it. keep up the good work!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Mine is just a Carter mechanical, mounted in the stock place on the engine. Electric pumps are designed to push fuel, not pull, so any time you mount an electric pump you want it as close to the tank as possible. Used with a carb, you want something that pushes around 6PSI, or you'll have to add a regulator too.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)

here ya go

Quote Originally Posted by BRAD ARTHUR View Post
    the electric pump you are talking about , (as a lift pump along with the mechanical pump ) or a stand alone electric pump? using it with a carb can it be mounted up by the engine or does it need to be back at the tank? what is a good electric pump for a carb set up? injection would solve all these questions i know but the second little boy don't help the jeep budget. good to here from u to hope you are doing well i see you've been hard at it. keep up the good work!
    Me personally, I'd remove the mechanical and cover the opening. Any local Auto Parts store should have a "replacement" electric pump. Just make sure it can push around 5.0 to 5.5 to 6.0psi to the eddy carb. You should run the pump as close as possible to the tank this way it pushes the fuel. At Advance Auto Parts they carry MR. GASKET electric fuel pumps... part numbers 42S & 12S both of them are $45.99.

do you know if the mr. gasket 12 s pump has a fuel pressure cutt out switch in it (build a certain pressure then shut off) seems like it would if it delivers only 4-7 psi? aand has any one had any experience with these pumps?

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAD ARTHUR View Post
    do you know if the mr. gasket 12 s pump has a fuel pressure cutt out switch in it (build a certain pressure then shut off) seems like it would if it delivers only 4-7 psi? aand has any one had any experience with these pumps?
    When I had an eddy carb on the old 304 I ran the Mr. Gasket 12S electric fuel pump.... and It ran non-stop.... I also had a return line to the tank. Hell, I removed it and it sat in my garage on the shelf for over a year and when I hooked it back up to see if it would work... It DID!!! Needless to say, I was impressed. If I remember right it was pushing around 6.0psi (according to the gauge I was using). IMO, it did what it was supposed to and for that I can't take nothing from it.