Thread: Exhaust suggestions AMC360

Bulltear forum member Cook

Exhaust suggestions AMC360

I'm finally finishing up my engine swap, 258 to 360, and am looking for some help on exhaust. My engine has been rebuilt and has the following:

Roller Rockers Harland Sharp CSP-S4004
    Camshaft Comp Cams K10-202-4 268/268 Lift .456/.456
    Exhaust Valves Manley 11859-8 Race Series Stainless Steel
    Intake Valves Manley 11892-8 Race Series Stainless Steel
    Pushrods Comp Cams 7694-16 Magnum Pushrods
    Intake Edelbrock Performer 2131 no egr
    Pistons Keith Black Silv-o-lite 40 over
    Water Pump Flowkooler High Volume
    Thermostat Mr. Gasket High Volume
    Headers Edelbrock Shorty Ceramic
    Carb Holley Truck Avenger 670cfm
    Ignition MSD Ignition Box, Upgrade wires, cap, rotor, plugs

I want to run dual exhaust (Thrush two chamber welded) mufflers and an H-Pipe with turndowns right before the rear axle. This is how my 258 was setup, but my dual outlet header went two into one with a single turndown right before the rear axle. It seemed to have a lot of power with only an intake, carb, header, and ignition (no internal work)... until it died... RIP. I've read that sometimes a Y-pipe with a single muffler running out the rear adds some torque to the 360. I have a one inch body lift for a little extra clearance. No emissions here so I don't need cats. Will the setup I want hurt me on performance with my engine specs? Any way to tell? Will I have enough backpressure with this setup? Thanks!

Oh, and here's a pick of the Jeep. Still need to buy the carb.. and a radiator.. and a few other things.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Sounds like a solid build... Be sure to update with a video of it idling and also going down the road ;) I'd run a true dual exhaust 2 1/2" all the way out the rear... lol
    I do see an issue in the picture.... Your axles ;) Time to upgrade.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I put pics of my exhaust in this thread: http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showt...-stock-linkage

Stock manifolds, but you could do the same with Edelbrock shorties. It's 2 1/4" from the manifolds, wraps toward the front from the passenger side, then goes to a single 3" where they meet. I also have a 3" high flow cat and Magnaflow muffler. I did this to pass local emissions, but actually saw a gain in low RPM torque over headers and dual exhausts. I do lose a little HP over 5000 RPM, but seldom rev it when I'm rock crawling. The whole exhaust is above the frame rail so it doesn't catch rocks. I smashed a couple of factory style Y pipes nearly flat.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by fifesjeep View Post
    Sounds like a solid build... Be sure to update with a video of it idling and also going down the road ;) I'd run a true dual exhaust 2 1/2" all the way out the rear... lol
    I do see an issue in the picture.... Your axles ;) Time to upgrade.
    Ha! Yeah, and my T5 is a weak link, too! Until I find a suitable replacement.

I'll post some videos up for sure. I'm already nervous about the first start and I'm not even close to it yet!

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Ha! Yeah, and my T5 is a weak link, too! Until I find a suitable replacement.

I'll post some videos up for sure. I'm already nervous about the first start and I'm not even close to it yet!
    Well, you have a slew of options when it comes to upgrading and swaping out trannies... Below are a few HD conversions...
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/465_to_amc.htm
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ford_to_amc.htm
    I'm doing the Ford NP435/205 (trying to find a Ford NP203 in-order to do a doubler set-up)... I have a GM203 gearbox but, I might have to junk that. lol

Cool

Guess not many people run crossover pipes. I'll try it anyway and post up a video. It'll be a couple months before I get the last parts I need so check back in a few months

Better late than never eh? Here's a video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCB8jomnFs