Bulltear Ad

Thread: Coolant Leak near number 1 exhaust port AMX 360

Bulltear forum member Cook

Coolant Leak near number 1 exhaust port AMX 360

OK folks, I am working on a 71 AMX 360. I have had several AMC V-8's and have never had this issue. There is a colant leak around the exhaust port on my number one cyliner. There are no freeze plugs in the area. The head was ported and polished if that matters. I don't see any obvious cracks. Are the header bolts wet in that area? I installed them without sealant as I have always done in the past.

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum Old Rugged Crosser's Avatar
    Well Highlander, That makes two of us! I am experiencing the same thing and on the same heads and motor, as yours, also have undergone extensive porting work.

If you will look on the end of the head you will see a crack going from where they machined the exhaust port. Right in the corner you will see where a crack starts and runs on. The problem as I see it starts on the sharp milling edge which is on a casting mark. That area needs to be radiused to stop the crack from starting at that sharp point.

I am lucky about 15 miles from where I live in Bothell Wash. there is a shop that welds cast iron heads as a specialty. I will be taking my head in on Monday. I never even got to fire mine. Good luck and what a coincident.

I also have a question.

Can I reuse the head gasket after torquing it down? Like I said it has not yet been fired.
    Larry The Old Rugged Crosser
    in a Old Rugged Cross'en 72 CJ-5
    ------------------------------------------
    You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum Old Rugged Crosser's Avatar
    Well, I just got back from going to the head surgeon and found out that the patient can be saved. It is going to cost me a cool $120. But at least it is savable. It had cracks at both ends. You know, it plagued me when I tore down that motor for the first time after I bought it. I thought that I detected the presence of waterglass in the coolant passages. Now I know why! My instincts were correct.
    Larry The Old Rugged Crosser
    in a Old Rugged Cross'en 72 CJ-5
    You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine