Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H/d steering assembly kits?

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

H/d steering assembly kits?

Looks like my tie-rod is slightly bent. Possibly after I rolled my jeep last month. It looks like it is about 1/2-3/4" out-of-round. While probably not yhat big of a deal, I was thinking about replacing it with a heavy duty set up that would also include the drag link and all ends.

Rugged ridge is one of the only complete H/D kits I can find. In the past I have not been that impressed with the Rugged Ridge quality. Can anyone recommend some other brands, and maybe some do's and dont's from there own experience with replacing these parts?

On the good side .......the jeep is up and running with only some minor body damage and it doesn't pull to the left when braking anymore!
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum Old Rugged Crosser's Avatar
    Yes. Google "Parts Mike.com" . I have worked with them and they are a great bunch of guys. They will custom make your set up. I highly recomend Mike.
    Larry The Old Rugged Crosser
    in a Old Rugged Cross'en 72 CJ-5
    ------------------------------------------
    You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

I have talked with them before.....very knowledgeable about the CJ's. Will talk to them and see what the have to say. Thanks for reminding me.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

ORC....Talked to Mike @ Partsmike..........Always nice to talk to someone who knows there stuff (especially cj's). He told me exactly what I needed to know and has all of the parts for a reasonable price. Called some 4x4 houses in the Phoenix area and they were of little to no help unless it was a TJ or YJ. I will be ordering a new H/D tie-rod/drag-link and pitman arm. You can ream the steering knuckle to accept the arms above the knuckles and gain 3-4 inches of clearance.

By the way I lived in the Federal Way area for 17 years before relocating to AZ.........Hows the weather??? Sunny and 60 degrees here.
    Last edited by juggernaught; 12-21-2010 at 01:36 PM.

Juggernaught:

Quote: By the way I lived in the Federal Way area for 17 years before relocating to AZ.........Hows the weather??? Sunny and 60 degrees here. Quote

I lived in Tacoma for 20 years and hated it. I now live in the Bothell area and love it. We are back down to the 40's now.

Where abouts in Arizona do you now live?

Yah, Mike is a good guy to deal with.

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

I am about an hour and a half(90 miles) East from downtown Phoenix, out Hghy. 60 towards New Mexico. I live in a town called Globe next to Miami at about 4,500 ft. elev. Started ranning last night and today............just a steady drizzle.

Just out of curiosity how did you get from Fed. Way to Globe? Were you into jeeps when you were here in Washington?

My wife has always had alot of family in AZ. I am originally from Ca. and miss the weather. Mostly fished while in WA. Too busy in WA (western)any more. I like all of the public land access in AZ (only 17% is privately owned). I can wheel all year-round here, including in my backyard. Things are alot less crowded and alot slower. I still do miss certain things about WA. though.

Just ordered my H/D tie-rod drag-link and pitman arm with all ends and a reamer from Partsmike for about $378. The new setup will be 1 3/8"dia. (instead of 7/8") and will be mounted over the steering knuckle for an increased clearance of 3-3 1/2". Found out my old stock tie-rod is bent out 1 1/4". Looking forward to getting it all set up and getting back out on the trails.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I'm running a Dana 44 front with SOA and high steer. I used Wagoneer tie rod and drag link, had the pitman arm and tie rod arms reamed for the larger Wagoneer ends. I had to cut about 4-5" off the Waggy ends and re-thread. Wagoneer tie rods and drag link are solid steel, not hollow tube. The die for threading cost me $25, and a local shop reamed the ends for $10 each. Even with all new parts from the local Auto Zone, total cost was under $200.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford