Bulltear Ad

Thread: Advance Curve Kit availability

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

Advance Curve Kit availability

Is anyone familiar with a manufacturer or source for an advance curve kit (including springs & weights) for a stock 1978 motorcraft vacuum adv. dist? I can only find a Mr Gasket 925D kit that is a spring set only. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I have been trying to find a source for over a month already. I am NOT willing to switch dist. quite yet.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

That's what thought..........Mr.Gasket kit only comes with two springs, of which only one fit my application. Ended up taking the dist. and getting it totally recurved at a speed shop. Found out that the vacuum adv. was actually running retarde for the first couple of degrees and the toal adv. was not ther until 5,000rpm. now my advance starts at 900 rpm(instead of 400rpm) and is all in by 2,500rpm. Total vacuum advance was 28 degrees, and now is only 15 degrees. Mechanical advance is 22 degrees total. So, a total of 37 degrees of advance by 2,500 rpm.

Tech told me that my stock Motorcraft dist. is really one of the best and most adjustable out there. Seems to run much smoother now.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    How did you find a shop with a distributor machine? Just call one by one and ask?

I need to find someone with one....
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

This shop was recommended to me by a speed parts house in the same area. They are more of a classic car performance center.............just got lucky.

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    I'm pretty sure most Ford dealerships still carry springs, weights and other parts for the Motorcraft distributors. iirc, all parts cross (except the main shaft and body) with a late 70's ford 460. I know at one point Google found me a cross reference chart.

Word of mouth has produced nothing for locating a distributor machine. I have to imagine there's one in the Twin Cities metro.

But, you did jog my brain cells into taking a trip to the pits of the local race track when they start up this spring. Thanks!
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln