Thread: Replacing tie rod on cj

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum

Replacing tie rod on cj

Can anyone enlighten me about replacing the tie-rod and drag-link on my '78 cj7? There does not seem to be enough clearance between the tie-rod ends and the leaf springs to drop the tie-rod out. Are there other options besides removing the leaf springs? Thanks.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Can you get the drivers side off first? It seems on my 74 CJ I could get one side off then pull the tie rod straight forward and drop it out.
    74 CJ5, 360w/T-18/D20, Scout D44's Locked front & rear w 5.38's, 36" Swampers & a ton of work...

It's a Jeep thing, Chrysler doesn't understand!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I seem to remember that you have to put the Jeep on stands so weight is off the suspension. Turn the wheel full right and remove the tie rod and drag link, then full left to remove the other side. It helps to remove the front tires. Take a measurement before removing them so you can be close on the alignment when you put the new ones in.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    Unfortunately it is bent so an GOOD measurement is not going to happen, but I can get an approximation. Thanks I'll give it a try when I get some new H/D parts.
    Last edited by juggernaught; 12-21-2010 at 10:13 AM.
    1978 cj7 amc360 t18a/d20/teralow, f30posi/r44locked, T/A670, never quite finished but running to beat all hell.....