Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
401 Cranks
Bulltear Ad

Thread: 401 Cranks

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

401 Cranks

Has anyone heard of or used a company called Shaft Tech. They are in Ohio.

The reason I ask is, I recently picked up 3 401 blocks and cranks, 2 sets of rods, 3 sets of heads and some other parts. I recently took the worst block to the shop to get maged and cleaned. He no longer does cranks though, his dad did them and he retired. The one crank is pretty rough with rust, he said I should put a mailbox on it (pretty funny). The other two should cleanup fine though. He recomended this company. I called them and asked them about the bad one. He said if it isn't cracked he should have no problem cleaning it up. I guess the question is what is to much to spend to have this one fixed. I see them on E-Bay for around $400, but you still have to have it checked, at least I would. What is the limit on the cuts, I have heard that they can go to 40 on the mains but am not sure.

Furthermore, is the Honda journal size going to weaken the crank to much, or should I stick to the 2.00 size. My plans are an all motor build, eddy heads, intake and some pistons from Bulltear. But, should I reuse the stock rods or stroke it. My goals are a very streetable car, I don't race, I love to drive the car, and plan on a six speed one day.

I want to build the motor once and do it right. Let me know what you think.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Honda journal is a great way to do a AMC cranks. I wouldnt spend more than $500 trying to "fix" a crank to oem spec in any undersize but offsetting it will make it viable.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Thanks for the advice, I probably will do the Honda journal trick. My brother is doing a 454 stroker, considering what he is gonna pay for a forged crank that does seem pretty viable. For what its worth, I may take some before and afters pics to post.