Thread: 1968 rambler body mounted on a 1976 jeep cj5 frame ?

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

1968 rambler body mounted on a 1976 jeep cj5 frame ?

Any input on this contemplated marriage is appreciated I am seriously thinking of taking my 1968 rambler american 2dr body and mounting it on my 1976 cj5 frame sort of replicating james garner sc/rambler baja cars he raced in 1969 10 of them were built 2 of which were 4X4 I know the cj5 wheelbase is roughly 22" shorter than the rambler and it would seem easy enough to split the frame in the middle and lengthen it along with a longer rear driveshaft also the wheel track on the jeep is a total of roughly 3" wider not an issue to me . the floors are cut out of the rambler so interference with the jeep frame isnt an issue either. what do you think ??????????????? all input appreciated .
    an amc was my first car and so will also be my last car/jeep

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If both bodies are beyond restoration, I say do what makes you happy. It will be a LOT of work. A buddy and I put a 55 Chevy body on a 3/4 ton Chev truck frame back in the late 70's. We had to cut about a foot out of the truck chassis to make it fit. Biggest problem was the steering. The column in the 55 body came out almost behind where the engine sat, so it took some bearings and small u-joints to route it around to the steering box. Lots of welding for body mounts and such. Both of ours were full frame cars, the American is a unibody, so you'll need to improvise on your body mounts since there are none existing on an American.

Post pictures.

I'm getting a 67 Rogue (American HT) next month. I'm going to do a ground up resto-mod using modern suspension, then paint it like a 69 SC/Rambler (same body style). I'll start posting pics as soon as I start.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford