Thread: NO rear tail lights/brake lights

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

NO rear tail lights/brake lights

1984 CJ8 - Restore

Installed the battery today and getting close to firing it up after the frame off restore (Pics in my gallery, link in sig line).

Head lights, front parking lights and front blinkers work.

Rear tail lights/parking lights/brake lights don't work. Checked voltage at the socket where the rear tail light bulb goes in and I have 12.2v (checking both cable end tits in the socket), I guess I should have checked the outer shell of the socket and the cable end tits in the socket to see if I had a ground Hum .

I did do POR-15 under the tub and the shot it w/paint, I'm thinking I might need a ground ran to the lights/to the bolt but seeing I have the voltage @ the socket I'm not so sure.

Dash lights, I do have a ground to the dash panel VIA the passenger grab bar. Not sure what is going on there.

Also the emergency brake light is lit (I think the plunger is bad) so to me that is a good sign that the bulb lit up. HTR fan working, windshield wipers work, headlights work.

What say ye!

Thanks,
    Jim

P.S. The front parking lights and the turn signals didn't work until I took them off and screwed them back on (got a better ground).
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

headlight bulbs..

Hi..I need to replace the bulbs on the headlight..i already have the replacement part.but how Do I change The headlight Bulbs on a 2007 Honda Civic?

thanks.. :)

Last edited by jansengeorge; 02-14-2011 at 07:42 AM.

This forum pertains mainly to Jeep/AMC/AMC engines.

If i were you I would get the book for it @ AutoZone and start from the rear bumper and work forward. Just Kidding.

Some have clips you pull (depending on yr), some have small screws/bolts. GOOGLE it.

That's all I can tell you.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I do think the factory tail lights ground thru the mounting bolts. You might just take an alligator clip to good ground and clamp onto one of the bolts under the fender. If it comes on, then either scrape some of the coating off under the nut or run a ground lead.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks Bob I got it and I ran a ground to check if it was grounded and it was.

The factory bolts did ground the light to the tub etc. (I have grounds everywhere).

I checked the socket (hot inside) to the ground (outside of socket) and the socket was grounded and everything else I could find, even my bolts for the bumperets.

Long story short and after taking the dash out again I found the plug where I plugged it in from the tub to the harness was hooked up but, the contacts were corroded due to some U-POL Raptor on the contacts. Took the dremel tool cleaned it up and BINGO, all the rear lights word and the emergency flashers.

I think w/the bad connection and under load the lights couldn't light up.

I also replaced the headlight switch and BINGO, dash lights :) (a few bulbs need to be replaced for the ventilation controls, not sure if you have to buy those little housings).

I'm a happy camper, I hate tracing down electrical problems.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The little rectangular lights in the dash are sealed, just pop the unit out and replace it. I suppose you could open them up and try to solder in a new bulb, but they are pretty cheap. I replaced a couple of mine, and then it annoyed me that the new ones were a slightly different color than the old ones, so I ended up replacing them all.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I found some @ 4whd for 5 bucks a pop.

Thanks,