Thread: AMC 360 Swap with ?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

AMC 360 Swap with ?

I have a question, but first here is my set up.

I have always wondered this and seeing I'm a 258/manual tranny guy I just don't know.

Set up:
    AMC 360/TF-999/Dana 300

Now what engine other than a AMC could swap into this configuration w/out a lot of adapters etc. I do understand the Dodge (I think) 500 w/OD is a better tranny than the 999 for a v8, or so I'm told.

But besides that, what would your take be. I would prefer a Ford motor.

Thanks,
    Jim
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    A 304/360/401 will bolt to the tranny/t-case you have now, you just need the correct V-8 motor mounts, some wiring and fuel line changes.

The 360/TF999/Dana 300 will also bolt in with the same changes (plus probably driveshafts, since it's a longer setup).

Even though it's a TF tranny, the bell housing bolt pattern is unique to AMC, so A Mopar engine won't bolt up to an AMC TF. You could use a Mopar engine and trans combo, but you'd have to disassemble the trans to put the Dana 300 compatible tail housing on it. Motor mounts would have to be home made. Wiring and fuel are a guess.

If you want to go Ford, some Ford bellhousings will mate up to some trannys that AMC used. You'd have to research it.

Both Advance Adapters and Novak make kits for Chevy and Ford small blocks.

Me, I'm a purist, I believe a Jeep should be Jeep powered.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj View Post
    Me, I'm a purist, I believe a Jeep should be Jeep powered.

Bob
    tufcj
    Me to Bob, just because it says Jeep on the grill (some rock crawlers etc) doesn't make it a Jeep. It was hard enough to put a V8 in the CJ8 but I still have the 258/T-176 :)

I was just asking because I am freaking out about the AMC-oiling issues I have been reading about etc and the one piece timing cover. That is why I was just thinking out loud to get a feel for it etc.

Next week I should be able, hopefully to prime the motor.

Thanks again,
    Jim
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum Old Rugged Crosser's Avatar
    I was just asking because I am freaking out about the AMC-oiling issues I have been reading about etc and the one piece timing cover. That is why I was just thinking out loud to get a feel for it etc.
    Me to rollbar.
    I wouldn't be freaking out if you stop to think how many thousands of engines have run many millions of miles without experiencing "oiling problems" Those problems you have read about have usually come from aftermarket products improperly used.
    Last edited by Old Rugged Crosser; 02-02-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Larry The Old Rugged Crosser
    in a Old Rugged Cross'en 72 CJ-5
    ------------------------------------------
    You are invited to view my rebuild of The Old Rugged Crosser --CJ-5 at:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/

------------------------------------------
    "He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

The oiling issues arent a problem for most applications. They begin to be a problem when parts wear out or if you are frequently revving the motor to 6000rpm's or often operate at high rpm's. at stock'ish output levels and sane engine speeds the oiling system works just fine. With one of MC's pumps and new bearings I wouldnt worry about anything. Just install a good pressure gauge and make sure you have pressure (also avoid Fram oil filters and any filter without the drain back valve)

Thanks all.

We will see what pressure I have when I prime it up next week.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I've built/rebuilt over a dozen AMC V-8s over the years. I built from bone stock drivers to several that were used in mud bogging Jeeps. I've only had 2 distributor gear failures (both my fault), and I've never seen a bearing failure due to oil starvation, even on a bone stock oil system that was regularly revved to 6500.

One distributor gear failure was due to dropping in a new distributor without changing the cam gear, the other was due to a high pressure oil pump putting too much strain on the gears.

I have seen on about 1/2 of the engines that I've torn down with over 100K on them have had some de-lamination of the cam bearings. The soft coating flakes off the metal base. This generally causes a significant loss of oil pressure.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Good info Bob.

I have the oil filter that the motor came w/and I am going to cut it open this week and see what is inside of it.

I will post pics.

How I acquired it was this mechanics son was going to rebuild his Jeep but left it and the father sold the motor/tranny along w/the tub/frame. My daughter wanted it (she is the one who likes blowers on motors/speed) so I took the motor for the 8. Then she wanted to sell the 5 tub. His son put 1/4 steel diamond plate all over the tub, it wan HEAVY! She/kids are moving to NV and she is going to buy a Jeep and we are going to rebuild it, unless she moves up to a TJ, but she really likes the old school Jeeps.

I'll keep everyone posted as I am interested to see what's inside as well.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep