Thread: 401/t-176 2wd

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

401/t-176 2wd

Hey guys, ive been reading this forum for a few hours now, good stuff. BUT i have yet to really find an answer to my question... i could make a witty introduction about my self but.. mehh.. i'll just get to it.

I have a AMC 401, thats hooked to a T-176/Dana 300. The AMC 401 is a fresh rebuild, 30 over, new heads, new carb, new cam ect... all the goodies, the T-176 is also freshly rebuilt, all new gears, bearings, syncs, ect.... All new center force clutch.. And i want to swap this engine/tranny combo out of the Jeep and built a rat rod pickup with it... obviouslty dont the dana 300 in there.

My question: Is there a 2wd version of a T-176? Or a conversion...? i tried novak, and advanced... they both more or less laughed...

i thought i read some where that ford used the T-176 for a while? is that accurate?

some one shed some light please

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    The Ford version is often referred to as the "Toploader." Google for that and see if you can find some hits. I know there are some shops that specialize in that tranny for old Fords. Hope this helps.
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Welcome to Bulltear!

I do think there was a 2WD version (never in a Jeep). I think it may have been a T-177. Bad news is that the trans would have to come apart and the entire main shaft be replaced, along with the installation of the 2WD tailshaft (no speedo output on the 4WD version). You may want to think about selling the T-176/Dana 300 and buying a T-4 or T-5. It would bolt to your existing bellhousing and use the same clutch, (throwout may be different).

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

would the t-4/5 hold up? i know it depends on who/how you drive it.. but... my 401 dyno'd around 430hp at the wheels...

what other transmissions would bolt to the AMC bellhousing? and work with the current clutch?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If you don't mind a granny gear, a NP435 from a Ford truck would fit. A T-4 or t-5 would be iffy with that HP. Maybe a WC T-5 or NV3550?

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

well im using this drive train so i can build a rat rod, i have a 1949' international KB2. really dont need a granny gear, going to just be more of a cruise around kinda ride

and im trying to spend as little money as possible... that world class and the NV sound expensive, ha
    Last edited by DM8761; 02-18-2011 at 07:10 AM.