Bulltear Ad

Thread: Pulley remover tools...which to buy?

Bulltear forum member Cook

Pulley remover tools...which to buy?

I have a saginaw factory pwr steering pump from a 78 CJ. Which pulley remover tool do I need to get it off? IS there one that works for this pump as well as the typical alternator for this year range?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Check with your local auto parts place, they might have the PS pulley tool that you can rent cheap, or use for free. I tried one from Harbor Freight, but the stud broke while pulling the pulley on, caused a whole lot of headaches. I got a Snap-on one used off the internet for about the same price, much better quality.

Seems to me that the alt pulley is either keyed or just held on by the nut. Should just slide off with a light tap once the nut is removed.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    The power steering pump pully is a press fit while the alt is a tapered shaft with a key and a nut.

Use a tool to remove and install the PS pulley. Don't ask how I know this.....

Sometimes the alt pulley is a bugger to come off due to corrosion. A puller may be required to remove but not for re-installation.
    Its a Jeep Thing --- No one understands!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    You can probably borrow the puller from your auto parts store, They usually dont even charge if you buy your parts from them too.

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    AMC 360

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Ok so I looked last night and I have the later keyway style PS with no outer nut. There's just a allen head in the middle so I am assuming this is the kind I can just tap off with a hammer. I don't need to save the pulley I'm replacing it with serpentine.