Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Exhaust Pipe Routing - Need Pics - AMC360
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Pipe Routing - Need Pics - AMC360

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

Exhaust Pipe Routing - Need Pics - AMC360

I would like to see some pics so I can get an idea of how I want to run my exhaust.

I either want to run outside, or, inside. If I run inside, I would like to put two collectors on so I can take the center out from the manifold to the muffler for room to work if needed (just an idea).

Thanks,
    Jim
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Mine is custom to avoid crushing the "Y" pipe. It's 2 1/4" (matches the manifold outlets) to where the pipes join, then 3" out the back. I have to run a cat because of emissions laws. Factory manifolds (again, emissions), the passenger side turns forward, then under the front of the pan before turning rearward.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks Bob, so the factory outlet is 2 1/4". We don't have the emission law in this town so I'm not going to run cats, I do want to run some dumps from Summit. I also am not going to run a crossover pipe.

Any cons on running the dumps?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-5424
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

No problem with dumps. All you may get is LOUD. I noticed a nice gain in low end torque when I went from headers/glasspacks to the single 3" exhaust. It does lose a little top end with the single exhaust (that's where the dumps may help) but I seldom rev it over 4000. Besides, I guess I got old, it just wasn't fun to have my ears ring for a couple of hours after driving the Jeep. I like to hear the radio and CB when I go down the road now.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Ya, I had glasspacks on my '79 frame up.

I have been driving Jeeps since I was a early teen w/the Willy's and all these years my ears ring e/the canvas/no top.

I am going to use stock mufflers so I can hear :) & have the dumps at hand so when a punk kid in a rice burner pulls up I can smile and just open them up :)

I've been use to the 258/304 so the 360 will be plenty in any state. Should be fun.

Thanks Bob
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Bob, what is the opening for the stock exhaust 2 1/4"?

86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Boy, that manifold looks pretty rusty! Maybe just the pic.

Factory outlet is 2 1/4". There was a heat riser on the passenger side. I deleted mine and used shorter studs to help with the turn forward. There is a donut gasket that slides into the manifold, the end of the pipe is flared outward, and there's a piece that slides around the pipe to catch the studs and the flare and pull it together. I got some all aluminum donuts at NAPA, stock were a pressed material (asbestos maybe?)

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Yep cleaned it up w/a wire brush on a drill but now that I have a glass bead cabinet I still won't take it off :)

I have some donuts (aluminum looks like/bluish in color) a friend gave me (new) and I to am not going to use the heat riser.

Thanks Bob, 2 1/4" it will be.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Exhaust routing planning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1V4J9DYr64

86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

The drivers side will torque upward, you'll have to plan your clearances accordingly. You want it to "float" since the engine moves some on the mounts. The only other thing I can think of is that if you curve the exhaust upward, it gives condensation a place to puddle when it cools, and could start rust from the inside. I don't know how much you'll rock crawl with it, but putting mufflers outside the frame rails leaves them exposed to be crushed. That's part of why I went to a single 3".

We did a V6 CJ in a similar way outside the frame, even ran the tailpipes up over the back tires inside the fender wells, so it can be done.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford