Thread: Please Help with 304 to 360 Swap Torque Converter Problem

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Please Help with 304 to 360 Swap Torque Converter Problem

I'm swapping a fresh rebuilt 360 into my CJ7 that had a 304 with a A727 Trans the 360 came in a 1972 Wagoneer with a TH400 Trans the early style (1969 to 1973) that used an adapter on the back of the block to fit the early TH400
    I'm ready to put every thing back together but I have one problem.

The flywheel on the 304 has four bolt holes to mount to the Torque Converter and the flywheel that is on the 360 only has three.

I don't think I can use the Torque Converter off of the TH400 since it was using the Adapter on the engine and now I wont be using that and probally not even the same splines.

I'm trying to figure out what Torque converter/Flywheel I need to make it work. Any info would be really appreciated.

I'm hoping I can just pickup a Torque Converter somewhere and I will all fit right I don't want to get another Flywheel because This one was balanced with my engine when I had it rebuilt.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The early TH400 with the adapter uses a Buick "nailhead" bolt pattern, not the more common BOP pattern.

With the early crank, you either need to have the crank machined to fit the 727, or use an adapter. I THINK that American Performance still sells the adapter. It basically bolts to the back of the early crank so you can use the later 727 flexplate (available at auto parts places) and has a 1/4" thick plate to space the trans back to compensate for the crank adapter. AMC V-8's are externally balanced, so you can't use a 304 flexplate on a 360.

You can't use the TH400 converter (it's GM based) in a TF727 (Mopar based). You MIGHT be able to re-drill the TH400 flexplate with 4 holes, BUT the converter still won't slide into the early crank. If you get a TF727 flex plate, a machine shop can match balance it to your current flex plate.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford