Bulltear Ad

Thread: newbie with some questions cam rering on 360

Bulltear forum member Swabie

newbie with some questions cam rering on 360

I have a 1980 cj7 with 35 inch tires and 4.56 gears. I am looking to replace my tired 304 with a 360 but as most of us are im on a budget. I will do a basic rering job with new bearings and etc. I am reading that alot of aftermarket timing chains have casting flaws. So is there any recommedation to a certain brand of timing chains and how do you guys feel with the summit 8600 cam and lifter set. Any help would be appreciated and recomendations with the cheap rebuild thanks
    torque till turns freely

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You don't say what intake/exhaust you're using or planning to use. A bigger cam won't do much if you can't move air in and out, so a bigger carb and free flowing exhaust will be needed. The Summit 8600 is a good choice for a 304, so is the Edelbrock Performer. The timing sets are easily checked. There is a keyway and an oil slot in the big gear, you just have to make sure the oil slot is clear all the way through. There is sometimes casting flash that can be easily removed with a small file.

Be sure to pull the freeze plugs and clean the casting sand and sludge out of the water jackets. It's amazing how much can build up inside the block over the years. I prefer to use brass freeze plugs so I don't have to worry about rust thru in the future. Be sure to change cam bearings. This has to be done by a shop unless you have (or rent) the special tool. About 40% for the AMC V-8s I've rebuilt have had the coating flaking off the cam bearings. You could get the small hole bearings from Bulltear to aid oiling. A .010/.010 cut on the crank will cost about $100, but it does make sure the journals are perfectly round, and removes any scratches. Bearings cost the same. Hone the cylinder walls with whatever grit stones the ring manufacturer recommends. Cast iron rings are fine for a stock rebuild, and seat the quickest. Get a good quality valve job done while the heads are off.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    thanks alot for the info . Do you think a two barrell carb say a 500 cfm or so size model 2300 would work for the summit 8600 cam size. Like say one off of a 390 ford large displacement engine etc. This Engine will be mostly in town and trail riding thanks . Also is the summit brand timing chains and good or should I use a cloyes ro comp cams
    torque till turns freely