I know it is not Jeep related but still ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
I have the 8.8 LSD rear in my '97 ford (auto, 2wd). I am getting a womp, womp, womp out of the rear (I will jack it up tomorrow) and it sounds like a bearing (others think the same thing), not a tire. Anyway I was wondering on how to pull the rear axle seeing I have a LSD. I am use to open rears on my Jeeps and not really sure I want to tackle this set up. Not sure if there is a "C" clip inside the spiders or not. A few years ago my son was hit in the rear by a truck and the rear is cocked a little (300K on the truck) and insurance wouldn't fix it (long story), to old. It doesn't smoke and very reliable.

Thanks,

Jim

Ok all, the trucks rear is baaaaaaad. The carrier shim (left) has spun and eating away @ the housing. I left the truck w/the kids @ college and they just moved to our new home in Nevada. We had the truck shipped here due to the rear.

Today I went to a few U-pull/pick places around various parts of the State and I could only find a rear out of a 2000 F-150 w/3.08 gears (I will could the teeth etc tomorrow as the tag was laying on the ground but every thing there).

Tomorrow I am going to change out the rear that I have (1997 F-150 w/3:55 LSD) and I do understand or read that the wheel lugs are bigger.

Question, w/the open rear I bought, can I put the LSD in it or ........

I might just let the kids run it the way it is for now and if a rebuild needs to happen, then I can do what I have to.

I just hope everything (DS/Emer brake) will bolt up, I'm sure it will.

The old read 1997 had drums, and the 2000 has disc.

Thanks,
Jim

I've been trying to get this figured out.

235=29" tire.
255=30" tire.

Original tire size when purchased new = 235/70/16 = 3.55 gear ratio

Tire size now = 255/70/16 = 3.55 gear ratio

Now I have the new/used rear to install, I need to figure out my final ration for these two tire sizes as I do want to go back to the 235 when the 255's ware out.

Tire size now = 255/70/16 = 3.08 gear ratio

Tire size future = 235/70/16 = 3.08 ratio

What is the ratio with the 255 tire size w/the 3.08 gear, final ratio.

I do suspect the ratio with 235 tire size will be 3.08 as installed, correct.

Sorry for the confusion but it's been a long day and I'm tired.

Thanks,
Jim

Also, one other thing, do I have to change out the tranny gear for the speedo or is it done by the computer?

Where would I go to get a tranny gear and what gear would I need w/the stock tire set up (I could look on the door for the stock tire set up as I have 255/70/16 now).

Again, thanks,
Jim