Bulltear Ad

Thread: Cj7 Iron Duke to AMC 401 Motor Mount Concern

Bulltear forum member Cook

Cj7 Iron Duke to AMC 401 Motor Mount Concern

I have an AMC 401 that I am building for my CJ project. I have my eye on a 1982 CJ7 with factory drivetrain (Iron Duke I4, T-176, Dana300) for swapping the AMC 401 into.

Does anyone know the modifications that will be required for the motor mounts. I recall swaping from an AMC I6 to AMC V8 was just a matter of swapping the passenger side mount with a mount from a CJ with a v8.

However, I fear the Iron duke mounts will require additional modifications to accept the AMC V8. I see that both advance adapters and Novak sell a set of weld-in AMC V8 mounts, but I don't have a welder and I am not sure how to appropriately place the V8 within the engine bay (i.e. where to weld the mounts).

Can anyone offer any suggestions/solutions?

Before someone suggests to find a CJ7 with an AMC I6, which would be easier to swap, keep in mind that most all of the cj7s that I have seen for sale at decent prices with I6 or V8 motors are wither fairly rusted-out and in poor shape or cost a lot more. I can find a really nice CJ7 with the iron duke in great shape for much less $$ than a rusted-out I6 or V8 CJ7. CJ7s with I6s in decent shape seem to sell for a high price.

Please help!
    Last edited by rbdesse; 04-10-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I-4 CJs were rare. They also used 2 different I-4 engines. The 151 is the "Iron Duke" and shares a bellhousing with the SBC (used thru 1983). A SBC swap may be easier. The 150 was an AMC motor (used 1984 up), and shares nothing with the Iron Duke, or the I-6 or V-8 for that matter. You'd have to look at it and see if the mounts are bolted or welded to the frame. If they're bolted, odds are that you can bolt in the V-8 mounts, I doubt they built a special frame for I-4 Jeeps. I have a frame sitting in the shed, I could measure the location of the mount holes if it would help. You still need the CJ specific mounts for the engine side, a Wagoneer mount isn't tall enough.

Bob
    tufcj
    Last edited by tufcj; 04-10-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member Cook

Please measure

Thanks for the reply. I know this jeep has the Iron duke, but it does have the T176. I have a T176/T18 bell housing (with the special d-stud for the t18 if I ever want to rebuild and install the t18 I have in my garage). Anyhow, I was planning to use the AMC bellhousing with the AMC401 to mate with the T176 already in the Iron-Duke Cj7.

If you could measure the location of the bolt holes in your CJ7 that may help a lot. I will look at the Iron-duke CJ to see if the mounts are welded or bolted-in. Then, I can use your measurements to check the location of the Iron duke mounts. My concern is that the Iron duke mounts are either welded or bolted in a different location than the I6/v8 mounts. If the bolt locations are the same as your CJ, then the swap should not be too difficult.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Measured the spare CJ7 frame (82-86 vintage). There are 3 rows of bolt holes on each side. From the front edge of the frame to the center of the lowest front hole is ~33". From the front body mount to the top rearmost hole is ~13". Measurement is the same on both sides. This is from a known I-6 frame.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford