Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Gettin started
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin started

Thank you from BT Gear Head

Gettin started

I got my 4x4 gantry kit ordered and a hypertherm pm 45 with machine torch. i will post pics on the build and progress, wish me luck.
    Went and picked up my metal for my table and water tray.I will pick up slat material next round gotta let my wallet cool off. LOL
    3-24 foot 3x3x1/8 sq tubing
    1-24 foot 2x2x1/8 sq tubing
    1-20 foot 3x3x3/16 angle iron
    1-4x8x1/8 sheet

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I get my steel hopefully saturday If my cousin has free time since he gets a discount. Im gonna frame my water table with angle and drop the sheet it weld it from the bottom and then seal it. dunno if im gonna do 3" angle, if they have 2 3/4 angle If I go 3" Ill just lower the table supports on the legs. and If I weld say 16gauge sheet on top of the angle inside the frame and do the 1/8 on top to allow water to flow under thats 3/16 closer to the top.

2.5" tall slats + 3/16 leaves me 5/16 to the top of the angle for water, so some stuff might be able to be havlf submerged or touching the bottom. Kinda hard to plan the water table I heard I was getting slat holders, Kinda wanna know what they look like dont wanna buy stuff I dont need atm, even though I can use it for other stuff anyways.

YEah that steel isnt cheap, the 3x3 sq tubing is pricy i paid 89.00 per 24 foot joint. I hope to get started on my table tomorrow i am gonna try to get all my steel cut i got the 4x8 sheet cut in half today.

Started on the table finally, couple more mornings and it should be finished if work would quit interfering with my hobbies.

I got a call saying my pm45 will ship out today.

cool now we just wait til our gantrys and stuff come, mines going to a depot because who knows If Id be home or not to help unload it.

Yeah i am picking mine up at the dock also it makes it easy.

Well got some more work done i got the table all tacked together gonna finish welding it up tomorrow and get the castors on. I am gonna do the top rails last incase i get any warping while welding it all up. I am also going to ad some leveling legs and they will also act as stops so the table wont move during cutting.

Last edited by wickedinhere; 07-21-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Good idea on the rails. I got mine tacked together - the two 44" rails that the water table sits on. Both rails that the rail bolts to are level and square. Expect the tubing has variances in it and if I lay the level on what would be the Y-axis its 0.0* or in one spot .4* Now I dont know If Im over thinking this, but Id imagine both rails need to be pefectly flush and the connecting gantry be perpindicualr and 90* to the supporting rails to not cause issues. Now this isnt something I can really fix, and the only thing to do If it is an issue is shim the spots, which wouldnt be much. I was gonna leave my main rails on and tack some extra tubing I have in between them to detour the possibility of warping, or do a weld cool it off with the air gun and then do another. I built a car jig that was 12' long out of 1/8 2 x 3 and only got .1* off at one corner doing it that way and I clamped and ratchet strapped 2 more 12' pieces on top of them to stop it from twisting.

I keep wanting to call and ask because its hard to explain, But im not gonna fully weld anything until I get my kit, I was thinking i was gonna get the gantry this week and the electronics would come next week, just waiting I guess.

YEah the rails being level and square are whats gonna need to be done right. I have one leg that has grown 3/16 of an inch taller than the other 3 i will have to cut that one to get the rails level. I am gonna wait like you till i get the kit before i do the final welding on the rails.