Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gettin started - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gettin started

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I almost wanna drill tap the rails prior to putting them back on the rest of the table, bolt the gantry rails to it, and then tack weld a bar across the front and back, kinda of like there portable table they sell, then put one in the center, make sure the gantry moves smooth and then set it on the legs tack it, check it again, stitch weld tack, and rinse and repeat. that seems like the most sure fire way. I knew in my mind the rails are the hardest part, should just bought the dam thing complete, even though im happy atm of how sqaure and level iam thus far, its the drawing in and out after final weld that makes or breaks you, who cares if the legs arent straight all it is, is a table, the top has to be level and true, and the water table x distance from the top, if those arent correct then its worthless.

Either way cant really think about it til the kit comes, planning 3 steps ahead without knowing what the next step and step 2 are is pointless.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    You guys have greats starts on your tables! We just got cable carrier back in stock so youll have your gantry kits soon and their is a drill jig that comes with the kit so that will help tremendously.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    i am glad to hear about a drill jig i was not looking forward to measuring all those holes plus the slat holders will make finishing the table alot easier.

Dont be too hung up on the table top either the DTHC will take care of any hieght issues you will have. Once your all together and look in restrospect you will see how easy it could have been and that your worries were over blown. :D :)
    [COLOR=#000000]

I was gonna use the rails to transfer the holes. Due to how much I hate tapping, and having to do 28? per side and worry about getting the straight, im gonna make a tap jig If I were to do it on the table.

Weld a nut to a plate with a hole in it Line it up clamp the plate down on both side and voila! perpinduclar to the rail every time. The fact nuts are usually a littleoversized should leave enough play for the tap, and if using a machine tap all the shavings should get pushed down anyways. Plus 3/16 isnt very far to go, so shouldnt need to clear the tap very many times.

Matt is it possible to get our software? I downloaded a demo of Mach3, kinda pointless really unless It gets set up as a sim, and you have sheetcam to generate the g code just to test it. It looks different then what most people have as far as background goes with the plasma profile opened, I think I seen a tutorial on how you can edit it for your own personal needs, not that I need or want to.

Have you seen the drill bit that has a tap built into it? i wonder how well they work if it did work it would save alot of time.
    http://img0.fastenal.com/productimages/3123327_hr4c.jpg

Drilling with a tap thread cutter is a bad idea by hand with a 2x2 tube it can lead to a broken drill and a loss of a mounting hole. Sure we can get software out right away. I think we were waiting on a huge order of CAD to show up. I know its in transit and should be here tomorrow.
    [COLOR=#000000]

Look what UPS just delivered!

nice, ill get a machine torch later down the road, so I can use the hand seperate.

Matt, im not concerned about the height of the water to the top rails, its the flatness of the two that the machine rails bolt to Ill draw a picture of what Im talking about.

Well since its raining here and kinda cool in the shop i got some more work done this morning. I am gonna go ahead and get my leveling legs built because where the table is gonna sit the concrete is not level go figure. LOL I got the table all welded up and got the castors on, that was more welds than it looked like.