Bulltear Ad

Thread: Need input on AMC 401 with Howell and Moates programmer/emulator

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey

Question Need input on AMC 401 with Howell and Moates programmer/emulator

Hi folks,

We're about to install the 401. I have a 360 with the Howell TBI on it now. Any problems reusing it as is on the 401 if I get the Moates APU1 reprogramming kit? Any need to change the injectors or anything?

Anybody here running a Howell or TBI on a 401?

The reason I'm considering Moates is to avoid having to deal with Howell to order a a new chip every two weeks. My friend is on his 6th chip with them and it's still too lean on his 360. I don't want that headache.

Thanks for you input.

I was just reading about the EBL flashboard unit, no chip swapping needed. sounds promissing.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    2BBL or 4BBL throttle body? The GM 2BBL flows about 670 CFM. That's good enough for a mild 360, but maybe not enough for a warm 401.

If you're friend is having problems with the Howell then something's not right. Did he source the TB from Howell? If the TB came off anything other than a 5.7L GM, then the injectors are probably too small.

I put a Howell on my mild 360 in my CJ7, sent them all the cam specs, told them I was running a Performer intake and stock exhaust manifolds thru a 3" single exhaust. The chip was spot on. Except for a couple of bad O2 sensors (they don't like being dunked in cold water when hot), the system has been flawless for 12 years.

I'm working with them right now to put two 2BBL TBIs on an Offenhauser dual quad manifold on a 390 I'm building.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks,

He did the same with Howell, both for his and my 360. Sent them all the specs. He's almost good now, some lean spots. We discovered through this charade that mine is way lean also. We bought cabling to get the codes with Winaldl and Tunerpro. That's the data they're using for making the corrections for the new chips.

the 401 has the head ported and polished, 3 angle job, .060, 9.0 CR, edelbrock valve train 0-5500 and intake, roller rockers, shorties... what else... you know, something I'm hoping will get me some HP/torque return on investment on the fuel that the pig will drink

You guys think gas is expensive in the US.. stop your whining, it's 30% worse here. And the slap in the face, it comes from HERE!