Bulltear Ad

Thread: ARP Head studs

Bulltear forum member Cook

ARP Head studs

ARP 114-4002 AMC 343-401 1970 & up head stud kit
    Has anyone used these?
    What i found is that they are to long and the nuts are to large

Four of the nine long studs that is the ones along the top of the head interfere with guide plates if you use them that’s guide plates and three of the five short studs interfere with the exhaust ports they are half way up the port that means you cant fit your exhaust manifolds and as for the nuts they use a 3/4 socket so the socket interferes with the cylinder head at the rocker post & at the two inside ends & the three exhaust ports so you cant tighten your heads down

The ARP 114-3602 head bolts
    Who has used these?
    Are there any issues with these bolts?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Never heard of the long ones interfering with guide plates, but the short ones interfering with header flanges is a known problem. The nuts are much taller than the bolt heads, so I could see it happening.

My 69 AMX has a mix of long studs and short bolts (no guide plates). It's the only way I could get headers on it. Even using a bolt, you may still need to notch the header flange a little to get clearance. It's easiest to test fit the headers while the engine is still on a stand. The 390 I'm currently building is getting just ARP bolts, it's easier that way. Any new bolts are better than reusing the 30-40 year old bolts that are in there.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford