Thread: Looking for an affordable and complete 401 (Do those words go together? lol)

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Looking for an affordable and complete 401 (Do those words go together? lol)

So I live in the NW part of Indiana, and I'm looking for a complete, recently rebuilt 401 or 360. Can anybody help me out with this? I'm shooting to spend $500-600 on an engine, but I'm open to haggling, too. Here's my craigslist ad with my contact information on it:

http://southbend.craigslist.org/wan/2558865852.html

Thanks!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Welcome to Bulltear.

The amount you're looking to spend will only get you a good core 401. They're getting rarer (last ones built in 1979), and most people know it. You might find a complete used 360 for that amount. Figure a good driver quality rebuild (rings, bearings, crank turn, cam/lifters, head work, timing chain, gaskets, etc.....) is going to cost around $1000 for parts and labor, then add $400-600 if it needs a bore and new pistons (+ additional labor and possibly balancing).

Good luck in your search, hope you find one.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Helpfull BT forum member Captain
    ya you might find a bare block for that kinda $$$$$

i got a 401 a few years ago that was stuck and payed 800 for it, sold the heads for 100 and the rods with pistons for 150, pistons were junk, my plan is to use the crank, block, eddy heads, K1 rods and Diamond or Wiseco pistons. I would like around 500HP N/A then put on the Vortec V1-SI at around 14-16LBS boost, that should make 700-750HP.

Really? Sounds like you should have looked around a little longer...I almost bought a 401 for $250 earlier this year that needed to be rebuilt, and I found a different one that had performance parts and EFI for $1000--just didn't have the money at the time.

Helpfull BT forum member Captain
    ya maybe in Wi, but not here in Mass.

these things are like gold around these parts

Actually they're usually pretty expensive around Kenosha because everyone knows what they are and want lots of money for them. The $250 one was in Washington or California, and the other one was in Pennsylvania.

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum
    Did you ever find one of these? If not I have a complete one that ran just fine when pulled. It will be much more than $500 though. It is complete with aluminum intake and Edelbrock carb.

I got a 343 block for sale or trade. I am looking for a 70-71 360 block for my 71 Javelin. I am even open to entertaining the possibility of selling the car. It is a 1971 Javelin SST 360 (missing the motor and radiator) 4bbl carb (have), borg-warner automatic floor shifter (all there). All original. Unmolested. Still original paint and interior. Blue exterior finish with double white stripes down the side. This car has never been refinished or restored in any way! Some dummy got rid of the original 360 and was planning to put some kind of Frankenstein motor in it. I really want to build this car but, only if I can build it with the right motor in it...