Bulltear Ad

Thread: 360 budget build

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!

Smile 360 budget build

Ok so I need to build a budget 360, I have a running 360 out of a 84 Waggy I plan to go through it with the basic overhaul stuff, but I thought since I am building it for a 2900 lb javelin VS a 5000 lb jeep, I would get some advice from the Gurus.

This will have a 1800-2000 RPm stall converter with a 700R4 behind it with (while it lives, stock rear gears 2:73 I believe) I am not looking to go too wild but since I have a Torker manifold an 600 edelbrock with a pertronix ignition system and longtube headers. I thought Id see what you guys would do with it..keeping in mind how expensive divorce lawyers could be if I go nuts on this one
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Buy mine for $1200... lol

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You don't need, and may not be able to use the OD in a 700R4 with 2.73 gears. At highway speeds, you'll be below the stall rating of the comverter, so it will slip and generate lots of extra heat.

The 360 in my CJ was given to me with about 80K on it. Pulled it apart, cylinders were still within spec for taper, so I re-ringed it on the stock pistons, had the rods resized, crank cut .010/.010 with new rod/main and cam bearings. Had a good valve job done and heads resurfaced. Used an Edelbrock cam, lifters and manifold with a Holley 600 1st, then the EFI system. Always ran dependably, and burned less than a quart of oil between 3000 mile oil changes. I'd put close to 60K additional miles on the motor before I sold the Jeep earlier this year.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!

Talking

Gahhh.. hadnt thought about that! things have changed a bit with the build anyway, I scored a running 401 (in exchange for my favorite 1911 .45 /cry) so i may back off on the cam and the stall converter and just try to be a grown up and not build something I cant afford.
    I have the 700r4 so I may have to put gears in it or figure out a junkyard sourced rearend with posi and lower gears.

My GOD i am getting OLD.. I am thinking about common sense during a build.. nooooooooooo need more Icehole!
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.