Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
360 with oil out of dipstick tube
Bulltear Ad

Thread: 360 with oil out of dipstick tube

Bulltear forum member Cook

360 with oil out of dipstick tube

Ran the jeep out on the road for the first time yesterday, after a couple of block down the road notice smoking from under the hood get out and check and see oil pumping out of the dipstick tube onto the exhaust manifold. It was a pretty good stream pumping out not just dripping. The is the first time I have really run the engine on the street. I am assuming I am getting pressurization in the crank case. I unhooked the EGR line which seemed to help at idle but when driving it still pumping out. What could be the cause? Blow by on one of the cylinders? how do I check, just a simple compression test. I have a plug on the oil fill tube cap nipple could this have anything to do with it? All hoses and the PCV valve are new, the EGR valve is old.
    We build AMC engines and dry sump systems to customer spec. Have offset ground and hardened crankshaft stroker kits available in stock or to customere spec.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Yes needs to have a breathing oil cap or breathers in the valve covers or oil and seals will blow out.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Thanks jeepsr4ever, I will make sure I let it breath and give it another run tommorow. Sounds better than what was going through my head.
    We build AMC engines and dry sump systems to customer spec. Have offset ground and hardened crankshaft stroker kits available in stock or to customere spec.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    MC-These were installed by the PO (old pics). I do think I have a factory set in the garage I was thinking of painting black to match the color scheme but not sure if they have the breather, I'll have to check.

1. Do both of them have to have the breather or just one?

2. Where does it hook up to?

3. I'm not running an EGR either.

4. Also, where you fill the motor w/oil, does that count where it goes to the air filter? Stock oil filler cap.

Thanks,
    Jim

P.S. I'm getting the tags for the Jeep tomorrow (maiden voyage) so I wanted to know before I get down the road and loose oil. So far revving/letting the engine idle for awhile I have had no sign of this.

Last edited by rollbar; 11-03-2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Just noticed you said either valve cover breathers or oil fill breather.
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

There should be a large metal tube dead center of the front of the motor, about where you have that rag stuffed in, That is your factory oil fill location, the factory cap on that tube has a breather built in. What I have done is to connect the PCV hole (back of the intake, passenger side) with a pcv valve, to the PCV port on my carb and left the factory breather alone (I did add filter foam to the breather to keep dust out of the crank case) This pulls negative pressure on the crank case and keeps the oil seals from leaking.

Thanks, I also put a breather sock in the factory cap and hose going to the air filter. I should be ok.

Thanks,
    Jim
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click