Bulltear Ad

Thread: Keeping the AMC 360 running...how?

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Question Keeping the AMC 360 running...how?

The Situation: I installed a 1984 AMC 360 into my 1980 CJ7. I have also installed a DUI distributor with new plugs and plug wires. The engine would not continue to run but will kick-over with "starter" spray into carb. I am using a new battery with a new starter. The first thing I noticed was no fuel at the carb (MC 2150). I used my air compressor and a rag to build some pressure at the fuel tank and got fuel to the fuel filter but none out of the filter. The filter has one inlet on the tank side and an outlet (to the mechanical pump) plus another (smaller) for the vapor line back to tank. The tank, hard SS supply line, fuel pump, and fuel filter are all new. If I eliminate the fuel filter from my current fuel system set-up...and allow fuel to flow into the pump w/o the 3-way filter, my guess would be that the engine will start and run. Would the filter with the vapor line cause a block to the fuel flow? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    A fuel pump can be bad out of the box, I've had it happen. If you think it's the filter, use a short piece of hard line instead of the filter, and let the return line hang during a test. It won't hurt anything. The return line was added to keep the fuel moving between the tank and the pump, to help avoid vapor lock.

You could eliminate everything. I have a 1 quart tank (from an old lawnmower) that I can hang higher than the carb. A line to the carb and let gravity do the work. Just remember to disconnect the fuel pump, or have something to catch the fuel that comes out of it. I built mine to tune motorcycle carbs when I have to remove the factory tank for clearance, but it works for (carbed) cars too.

Bob
    tufcj
    Last edited by tufcj; 01-09-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    Thanks tufcj. The more I thought about the 3-way fuel filter and the way that I need to add air pressure to the tank, I'm thinking that I should "pinch" off the vapor line during the start-up phase. After I start the engine and keep it running for a while, I believe that the system will work as originally designed.

PaRidgeRunner