Bulltear Ad

Thread: headers

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

headers

im looking to run some headers on my 360 preferably hookers but according to hooker headers "tech" guy they do not make or offer dog leg port headers. i have found some on summit but they are out of my price range. i know other brands like hedman or dougs offer dog leg shaped port headers at a reasonable price but id really like to run hookers....... i can buy a pair of hooker with a rectangle port shape for right around 200 is there any way i can drill or grind these and essentially gasket match them like i did the heads? or will the bolt holes not even line up that id end up with 200 dollars in scrap? if anyones done something like this pictures would be much appreciated

thanks

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    What car are they going into? I'd have to say the tech guy doesn't know AMC. I have a set of dog leg Hooker super comps on my 69 AMX (running 70 dog leg heads). Their dog leg isn't a great match, but a die grinder can fix it. Anything they make for a 70-up body style should have dog leg ports.

The ports on a 66-69 square port head are taller and narrower than a dog leg.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member New to the forum
    the 360 is out of an 85 waggy and im putting it in an 80 cj7. id like to run in frame headers. my step dad and his brother both have cj5's with fenderwell headers and side pipes and sure they sound pretty bad ass (one has a 304 and the other has a 401) i just dont like the look of fenderwells and side pipes on a jeep.....

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I hear what you're saying. I had problems with cheap headers rotting out at the collector, being right behind the front wheel they catch everything. I also crushed a few mufflers, with them being right under the rocker. When I did a shackle reversal, the tire touched the header tube on compression. I finally bought a set of alumacoat headers, they were great.

Due to the problems above and local emissions laws, I finally went back to stock manifolds and a custom 3" single exhaust. There are pics posted somewhere here if you search. I found it had a little more bottom end torque, but lost a little over 4500 RPM. Since my CJ was used mostly for rock crawling, it was an acceptable trade off.
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford