Thread: D 20/T18 - Bull Gear Replacement

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

D 20/T18 - Bull Gear Replacement

I need to check/replace the bull gear in between my T18 and D20, does anybody know if you can go through the tailshaft of the transfer case? It looks like you can take off the back cone where the rear output shaft is and access everything through there. Has anybody done it this way? I just put tranny and Tcase back in and still has a grinding noise so I suspect the bull gear is worn. I'm trying not to have to pull the Tcase again.
    74 CJ5, 360w/T-18/D20, Scout D44's Locked front & rear w 5.38's, 36" Swampers & a ton of work...

It's a Jeep thing, Chrysler doesn't understand!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You may be able to access it that way, but it will probably be difficult to get the gear to align with the intermediate gear and the splines on the output shaft with the limited space you'd have to work in.

Did you rebuild the t-case? A grind (in 4WD) is usually caused by excessive clearance (bearings/shaft) and/or movement (thrust washers) in the intermediate gear in the D20.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    It grinds in both 2 & 4wd. I changed out the tcase with different used one and had the same noise. Yes, the new one could be wornout too. I'm suspecting the bulllgear because it is the common factor and I did not check it for wear. It's a realy nasty grinding sound that is worse when not on the throttle or when coasting, when there is no pressure on the gears. I've looked at almost everything. Probably should just pull the tcase...
    Last edited by northplainsdrifter; 02-03-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    74 CJ5, 360w/T-18/D20, Scout D44's Locked front & rear w 5.38's, 36" Swampers & a ton of work...

It's a Jeep thing, Chrysler doesn't understand!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I have to agree that 2 bad t-cases with the same problem is unlikely. Are you sure it's the t-case? I'd check u-joints and diffs too. A bad pinion bearing can echo thru the driveshaft and sound like it's coming from the trans or t-case. Maybe pull the rear shaft and drive with just the front, snd vise-versa to help isolate the problem. Hard to diagnose without being able to hear it.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford