Thread: Mini clutch for AMC 360/401?

Hybrid View

Bulltear forum member Cook

Mini clutch for AMC 360/401?

Has anyone ever found a mini clutch for an AMC 360/401 post 72. I am tired of spinning all that weight of an aluminum flywheel and a centerforce stage 3. If not a clutch how about, does the crank flange (6 on 3.75 I believe) match any of the big three. I have a shaved chevy trans with a custom spacer and a chevy hydraulic throwout and clutch. I'm not afaraid to figure out how to make it work but I just need the clutch to get started. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The pressure plate uses a GM pattern on the 10.5" and 11" versions, so I suppose a GM pressure plate would work. You'd have to find a clutch disc with the right spline pattern to match your tranny and pressure plate diameter.

The crank bolt pattern matches a Pontiac 350/400/455 pattern, but the flange is shorter, so a spacer would be required to move it out so the starter would engage. Remember that an AMC engine is externally balanced, so any flywheel would need balancing.

I gotta ask what your looking for? An aluminum flywheel and centerforce would be about ther lightest combo I could think of.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the help. The mini clutches we run in circle track bolt right to the crank shaft and you use a flex plate for the starter. I currently have a Centerforce Chevy 11" clutch with full size flywheel and that is a lot of weight to spin up compared to a 5.5" tripple disk. The crank flange info is what I was looking for and thanks again for it.

Just an update. I am about to start assembly using the early 390 crank with 6" eagle rods 4.155 chevy pistons and a comp solid roller (pics being collected). When I get the early to late adapter form bulltear we will bolt on the flex plate and clearance the back of the flywheel so that the original bolts will be used for the flex plate/starter ring at this point. The 5.5" chevy clutch from quartermaster will bolt to the flange that will be offset drilled 30 degrees to match the chevy pattern. Just gotta get all the parts and then figure out the details. Quartermaster did offer to drill a custom button flywheel for the AMC at a $375 up charge (not too bad) but we can do all this for free.

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

More on the mini clutch/flywheel conundrum

I am doing a 72 Javelin track day car with the engine set back and down and was also circling around these issues. The AMC crank flange is 6 on 3.75" as others have stated but I believe one of the holes is offset from the 60-degree centered spacing so that the externally balanced flywheel only goes on one way. I haven't pinned down the offset yet so if somebody knows, please respond. In order to help with the engine relocation I was contemplating adapting a Tilton rear-starter bell housing from a Chevy but am in the midst of comparing the block bolt patterns, am ready for some some welding and CNC machine work to make that connection.....or given that the Tilton clutches are pretty much on/off switches, maybe there is a better combination for a track day car like mine that might occasionally be driven on the street. I know McLeod makes a dual disk clutch, what is the size of that and what flywheel is used? Possibly that is a better answer and just use a Quicktime or Browell bell housing with a mini-starter. Probably gonna use a Jerrico tranny, unless I chicken out and use a T56.

As the original poster notes, he can drill his Chevy pattern flywheel to mate to the AMC crank by putting a new hole pattern between the existing holes. Gotta get make sure to get the external balance part compensated for. Chevy pattern is 6 on 3.625 DIA, as I recall.